BootsnAll Travel Network



Notes From Paris, Part Three: Arabic Culture and the Latin Quarter

This is Part Three of a series from when I was staying in Paris for two weeks.

Sights seen/Things done, and cost: 

1. Bought Arabic sweetmeats: 50 cents

2. Took the metro to a station near the mosque: 1.40

3. Bought two figs at the outdoor market: 40 cents

4. Visited 3 Islamic bookstores along the way to the mosque: free

5. Visited the mosque: 3 dollars

6. Walked thru the Latin Quarter: free

7. Visited the University. Art Exhibit. : free

8. Visited the Arabic Institute: went to exhibit; went to top of building to look at one of the best views of Paris: free

9. Spent time in bookstore in Arabic Institute, bought two postcards: 2.oo

10. Ate lunch in front of the Arabic Institute: free

11. Walked along the Seine, and looked at all the outdoor art along the river: free

12. Ended up in the Botanical Gardens: free

13. Walked home, bought a loaf of bread and some cheese and fruit: 4.00

Total cost for the day: $ 11.40 usd

Today I got up pretty early and decided to head to the Paris Mosque. It is near quite a few other things I wanted to see, including the Arabic World Institute and the Latin Quarter.

The idea of today was to make it a day where I experience a different side of Paris-not just the cookie cutter Eiffel Tower experience, but more multicultural. I decided to have my focus today be on Arabic and Islamic culture, as I know nothing about it whatsoever. It’s very easy to not know much about it, since I am American and we Americans are not exactly encouraged to learn more.

I stopped off at the falafel place near my apartment. Ahbib, the guy who runs the place spoke excellent English and I told him about my plans for the day. He was very kind and very happy that I was taking an interest in his traditions. He sold me some little sweetmeats, a kind of little roll soaked in honey and then covered in sesame seeds. I got a whole parcel for just 50 cents! And he told me that the same sweets would cost me at several dollars at the Arabic Institute or the Mosque.

I head to the metro station near my house. It’s a zoo, as everyone is going to work at this hour. Next time, I will avoid this rush and leave the house a little later. I’ve heard that people get pick pocketed on the metro when it’s crowded, and it’s definitely crowded enough for that to easily happen, but it doesn’t. I somehow manage to make all the right train changes and realize that the metro is fantastically well organized and much easier than I was previously making it out to be. (It’s a funny thing: when you are with other people, who know where they are going-as I was when I arrived and the following few days afterwaards in Paris-you don’t pay any attention to anything on the metro, so it seems overwhelming. Then after few tries on your own, it seems so simple!)

I get off at the stop by the mosque. It turns out there is a farmers market that day. I want to take pictures of all the cheese sellers, vegetable and fruit stands, and the other things but it seems like the people won’t like the idea. There are also some amazing pashimas and Indian goods there , sold very cheaply. I buy some figs from a man from Jordan and he gives me directions to the mosque. He also suggests an Islamic bookshop along the way.

I find the bookshop. It seems to be called, “Al. Bustane.”, and it’s run by this old, extremely tidy looking man, who is very friendly. There are loads of books on Islam, prayer beads, little caps, prayer rugs…there is also an adjoining room, with all titles in English and French. He speaks English so we talk for awhile and he knows all about the history of the Paris Mosque. I visit a few other bookshops along the way, and everyone is always very nice and friendly.

I keep walking, hit by new sights, smells, flavors. It smells of Indian food, incense, and another smell I can’t place-kind of like candy. It’s a sweet smell.

I discover the source of the smell just as the mosque comes into view-a shop is making honey candy.

The mosque itself, from my view at first, doesn’t look like much. Then I round the corner and see the tall tower. it’s beautiful.

I walk up to the front of the mosque, which is across the street from a small park. The park and the steps of the mosque are filled by beggars, all women. One woman passerby has given a beggarwoman a shawl, and the beggar woman doesn’t want it. She seems to know the woman who has given her the shawl and so she doesn’t want it. She spits on it and throws it into the street. Another beggar woman runs out across the street and takes the shawl, gently placing it back in the first beggar woman’s hands. The woman cradles it in her arms.

Along with this strange scene is another one stranger still-white women tourists wearing miniskirts and tank tops, being wrapped in gray cloth so that they can enter the mosque. They look tan, fit, healthy-out of place next to these beggar women, who look somehow lumpy and nondescript in their ample clothes. The tourists also look embarrassed, like they don’t like having to be all covered up by the gray sheets.

I walk up the steps and go in. No one stops me to cover up-I’m wearing a long black skirt that comes almost to my ankles and a tshirt. While I’m getting directions about where to go to pay the admission fee, the tourists have decided they can’t take walking around in sheets and have given up entering the mosque. They take off their sheets and carefully fold them, handing them back to the men at the doorway, who look off into the horizon or stare into the garden at some distant speck of dust. The girls leave red faced and in a huff.

The office is run by Mohamed the day I am there. He is a volunteer, as they all are. He speaks some English and has been to, of all places, Las Vegas. But he dreams of going to Montana. I learn this while chatting about the mosques history and looking at badly photographed pictures of the mosque they are selling as postcards. Mohamed also teaches me to say thankyou in Arabic.

I wander around the mosque for over an hour. It’s beautiful. There is something about the style of Arabic architecture, tile work, and even gardens that are perfectly pleasing to the eye. Every color, design, pattern and shape is all thought out ahead of time, to make it the most pleasing possible. It’s a joy of blues, greens and cool white.

I sit in the garden and imagine I am somewhere in the Middle East. This is probably the closest I will ever get.

They are going to close for prayer. People, in particular men, have begun to arrive and have entered the prayer hall. Outside the prayer hall are hundreds of pairs of shoes, all neatly lined up. I’m not allowed in the prayer hall, of course, but I glance in and it’s stunningly beautiful, with every available space being taken up by woodwork, tile work, and carpets.

I decide it’s time to go and start to head towards my next stop, the Arabic World Institute, which means wandering thru the Latin Quarter. When I first read the words “Latin Quarter”, I thought it meant Latin like Latino! But the name actually comes from the fact that students and their teachers all spoke in only Latin here until around the Revolution.

The Latin Quarter is fantastic-it’s full of used bookstores, cheap eateries, and loads of students. It’s very laid back and casual, and it’s fun to wander thru the streets. I finally end up in front of the Sorbonne, Paris’ most famous university.

It looks interesting, so I decided to take a look. It turns out there is a big exhibit of students art there today, as well as a famous painter. The students all speak English, and they smile and point the way to the exhibit. It turns out it’s free, too. Perfect. Not only that, there is free coffee!

I leave the Sorbonne and make my way to the Arabic World Institute. This is actually something I have been wanting to see since I read about it. Of course, I wanted to see the inside of the place , but I have to admit that I was equally interested in seeing the outside of it as well.

The building is hard to describe, but I will try: it’s like a huge silver box, made up of squares, each square being a bunch of metal bits that are mechanized and open and close. It gives the effect of a Borg ship from Star Trek or something like that,all in glass and aluminum. The squares are all slowly opening and closing at different times, so the building never looks quite the same.The building was designed by the famous architects Nouvel and Soria.

Once inside the building, things are a bit tricky. No doubt because it’s the Arabic World Institute, you have quite a screening process to get thru. The museum is quite pricey for what you get, so I skipped it and instead looked at a free temporary exhibit of Arabic scientific artifacts. Arabic culture was remarkably advanced and had much more scientific knowledge than anyone else did for much of history. Afterwards I went up to the 9th floor, which has a fancy place to spend alot of money for a cup of mint tea..but I skipped that and just looked at the fantastic view of the city.

The bookstore inside the Institute is amazing-it’s the biggest Arabic bookstore in Europe and it has loads of music, too. My favorite thing were all these postcards written in Arabic script of famous quotes. I bought I a few of these as I thought they would make nice gifts.

After a lunch of or figs and sweetmeats, I wandered down to the Seine. This river truly is romantic, filled with barges and tourists paying for somewhat overpriced ferry rides, with the banks of the river lined with people out walking their dogs and young couples holding hands.

This particular part of the Seine is also lined with a a really fabulous collection of outdoor sculpture-and it’s free, too. Some of it I really liked, and some of it I thought was  extremely ugly-but either way, I enjoyed looking at most of it and the walk led me to the entrance of the enormous Botanical Gardens.

Wow. These were insanely beautiful, and full of Parisians as well, who  were out enjoying the nice sunny weather.

I just walked around for hours!! I thought to myself, ” If everyday in Paris is like this, I will be in love with this city!”

The gardens have been described by some as Eden like, and I would have to agree. However, breaking up all this beautiful monotony are these annoying uniformed people who walk around and tell you to get off the grass. Apparently, it’s just for show. Odd.

There are also a fair share of scam artists, pickpockets and so on around, so that made photgraphing difficult when I had to grip my bag the whole time. And, in spite of looking like the perfect garden to stare off into space into while dreamily reading a novel, it’s not really possible due to the number of undesirables waiting for you to let your guard down so they can steal your camera and cheese sandwich.

But, nonetheless, the garden is spectacular. French people think so, too- they would much rather spend their days off in these beautiful gardens than their tiny apartments, and they walked around exclaiming over the size of the dinner plate dahlias as much as I was.

I realized I had to walk home still, although I could have taken the metro. I decided to walk and pick up a few things for a light dinner on the way back.

I actually found my apartment! Made it up the skinny flights of stairs! Made myself a cup of coffee and flopped on the couch!

A beautiful, full, and exciting day. What will tomorrow bring, I wonder?

gigi



Tags:

3,311 responses to “Notes From Paris, Part Three: Arabic Culture and the Latin Quarter”

  1. Perfect Green Outdoor leisure Products Co., Ltd
    is patio umbrellas and appear tents manufacturer with years’ experiences in manufacture umbrellas and
    screen print.
    The products individuals company mainly include:
    1.patio umbrellas: wooden patio umbrellas, aluminum frame patio umbrellas,
    metal frame patio umbrellas, fiberglass frame patio
    umbrellas.
    2.garden umbrellas: wooden garden umbrellas, aluminum frame garden parasols, metal frame garden umbrellas, fiberglass frame garden umbrellas.

    3.beach umbrellas: wooden beach umbrellas, aluminum frame beach
    umbrellas, metal frame beach umbrellas, fiberglass frame beach umbrellas.

    4.outdoor umbrellas
    5.commercial umbrellas
    6.cantilever umbrellas
    7.shade umbrellas
    8.market umbrellas
    9.aluminum popup tents

  2. sex says:

    I know this if off topic but I’m looking into starting my own blog and was curious
    what all is needed to get setup? I’m assuming having a blog like
    yours would cost a pretty penny? I’m not very internet savvy so I’m not 100%
    certain. Any suggestions or advice would be greatly appreciated.
    Thanks

  3. Hey I know this is off topic but I was wondering if you knew of any widgets I could add to my blog that automatically tweet my newest twitter updates.
    I’ve been looking for a plug-in like this for quite some time
    and was hoping maybe you would have some experience with something like this.

    Please let me know if you run into anything. I truly enjoy reading your blog and I look forward
    to your new updates.

  4. What a stuff of un-ambiguity and preserveness of precious familiarity regarding unexpected feelings.

    Look into my weblog :: nba live mobile hack 2017

  5. the flower says:

    Sex toys result from swings for fucking in, to feathers for
    tickling with, nevertheless the most popular sex toys available on the market can be a masturbator.
    When taking a look at specific learning online schools,
    make certain you perform a solid criminal history check
    as reputation is important. &#65&#108&#115&#111&#44 &#105&#110&#99&#114&#101&#97&#115&#101&#100 and frequent consumption of &#97&#108&#99&#111&#104&#111&#108
    can &#108&#101&#115&#115&#101&#110 the density of &#115&#112&#101&#114&#109
    &#119&#105&#116&#104in a man.

    Look into my site … the flower

  6. bet365asia says:

    Bet365 also give some good add-on mobile betting capabilities, which includes live betting and live streaming.

  7. Sean says:

    Lisst Heritage shows howw popukar AppNana – Free Gift Cards
    is within the Play appstore, and how that’s changed overtime.; Thhe appbounty limitations are giving a chance to you to get our companion that iTunes gift card withouut even paying anything.; NoBUCKStalgia:
    should you wish to support our trigger, you might assist us
    by distributing the ter in regards tto the AppBounty Hack,
    or a number of our additional function, since we don’t accept donations.;

  8. Ignoring your interests, abilities and talents is a cetain strategy to stumble into the wrong approach to become profitable, which mean a
    manner that dopes not work.

    my web-site make money online fast

  9. Maria says:

    Iblig frequently and I genuinely appreciate your information.
    Thhis great article has truly peaked my interest.
    I am going to take a note of your site and keep checking for new information about
    once per week. I opted in for your Feed as well.

    My page … prix 10000 vues youtube (Maria)

  10. Then when you graduuate make money from home jobs
    college aand your nnow making ann attempt to get cash it wilol be much easier.

  11. Great work! That is the kind of info that should be shared
    around the web. Disgrace on the search engines for not positioning this
    post upper! Come on over and visit my web site . Thanks =)

    Visit my blog post :: sales calls (http://ethos-farm.com/?project=project)

  12. Jalini says:

    It’s remarkable designed for me to have a
    web page, which is good for my experience.
    thanks admin

  13. Thanks for your personal marvelous posting!

    I certainly enjoyed reading it, you’re a great author.I will ensure that I bookmark your blog and
    will come back down the road. I want to encourage that you continue your
    great writing, have a nice day!

  14. “B’s” column indicates variety of bookmakers providing Ligue 1
    betting odds on a selected soccer match.

  15. Here says:

    I feel this is one of the so much vital information for me.
    And i’m happy reading your article. But should remark on few general issues, The website style is great, the articles is
    really nice : D. Just right activity, cheers

  16. Pretty! This has been a really wonderful post. Thanks for
    providing these details.

    My web blog :: fireplace surrounds plans

  17. This puts a extremely thin layer of rhodium on the entire surface of
    the ring giving it the vibrant shiny look we want and expect.

  18. Destinatários: Retiro está descerrado a todos e cada um dos interessados em Yoga e também
    Ayurveda, e nomeadamente iniciados e também praticantes de outros estilos
    de yoga, que pretendam desenvolver a sua prática em Yoga & Ayurveda. http://buildcornish.com/UserProfile/tabid/4422/userId/122421/Default.aspx

  19. Wonderful post! We will be linking to this great content on our site.
    Keep up the good writing.

    Also visit my webpage; https://designin.us

  20. Jane says:

    Thhank yoou ffor tthe goood writeup. It in fact wass a amusement account it.
    Lookk advznced too ffar added agreseable frkm you!However, hhow coud wwe
    communicate? I amm sure tis plst hhas touched aall thee internert visitors, its really really pleaqsant post on bbuilding uup
    neww website. It iss tthe bst timme to make spme plans
    foor thhe futufe aand iit iss tome tto bbe happy. I’ve
    rea his post andd iff I cold I wabt tto sugest yyou few iteresting thinjgs oor tips.
    Maybe yoou cann writfe nesxt artichles eferring tto tyis article.
    I wish to read mkre thing about it! http://foxnews.org

  21. It is also a part that requires hard work and adequate preparation.
    Unfortunately, even a small project such as deciding
    how to recycle paper at your office can include initial goals, sub-goals,
    and goals to work on now as well as later. Success refers
    to when readers can refer to the solutions themselves – not at the level of theory, but advice, applications, examples, etc.

    Here is my blog … writing service (kennisproductiviteit.org)

  22. Tyree says:

    you are really a just right webmaster. The website loading
    speed is amazing. It kind of feels that you’re doing any distinctive trick.
    Furthermore, The contents are masterpiece. you’ve performed a fantastic process in this topic! http://jerrodpearl931.unblog.fr/2016/12/28/car-airport-parking-games-space-a-recognized-source-of-pleasure/

  23. Hi there, this weekend is pleasant for me, for the reason that this time i am reading this great informative piece of writing here at my home.

  24. Se mas para frente vocês ouvirem que alguém está praticando Mega Super
    Extra Ultra Plus Power Soft Vinyasa Yoga Flow não se assustem. http://www.allsuche.de/cgi-bin/suchen.pl?suchworte=Espacio%20Semilla%20Yoga

  25. Taking motion is a key aspect and a secret behind success in your make money online robocat enterprise.

  26. I think this is one of the most vital information for me.

    And i am glad reading your article. But wanna remark on some
    general things, The website style is ideal, the articles is really nice
    : D. Good job, cheers

    my web-site – Alcohol Treatment Options

  27. If you are going for finest contents like me, only visit this website daily since it offers feature
    contents, thanks

    my webpage motorcycle repair manuals pdf

  28. Amy says:

    It iss apprtopriate ttime to mame some plans foor thee future
    annd itt is tije too be happy. I’ve read this post andd if I coulpd I desire too suggest yoou ssome interedsting
    things oor advice. Maybe you can write nexxt artiocles referring too this article.
    I wsh tto rrad evgen mor things about it! Doees your blog haave a contct page?
    I’m having a ttough tike locatiing iit but, I’d likee to send youu
    aan email. I’ve ggot slme cteative deas forr youjr blog you ight bee intereted iin hearing.
    Eithuer way, grerat blkog aand I ook forward to seeing
    iit exand overr time. It iss appropriate time too
    make some planns for thee fhture and iit iis time tto
    bbe happy. I’ve read thiss post annd iif I coulkd I wnt to suggest yyou some interesting
    things orr advice. Mayhe youu cann write nect articfles refering too thhis article.
    I desiire too readd moore thiings about it!

    http://www.cspan.net

  29. My dear, you know I always want you the very best of what the world needs to use and on this
    big day it is no various, Pleased Birthday and yours permanently.

  30. Why people still use to read news papers when in this technological globe the
    whole thing is accessible on web?

  31. Its a free app, aand you may get premium for 1.99. You can make money get turnt download your own beats, and promote the copyright online for 50 dollars or so.

  32. On this section, we will speeak about essentially the most up-to-date methods oof making
    a living using your private or bjsiness web site, wit, and trade.

    My web blog :: make money online without investment

  33. The moment-cash methpds to make money online 2016 money
    may be further divided into three classes: turning belongings into money, borrowing,
    and making a living.

  34. My brother recommended I might like this web site.
    He was totally right. This post truly made my day.
    You cann’t imagine just how much time I had spent
    for this info! Thanks!

  35. É importantíssimo lembrar que frequentemente não possuem Fator de Proteção Solar
    (FPS), por isso a recomendação de se usar creme para dia
    com FPS logo posteriormente a emprego do sérum. http://bbs.easougame.com/home.php?mod=space&uid=1682669&do=profile&from=space

  36. Oh, properly-fortunes of struggle and all that, they aare in a very good house with folks I know-and perhaps
    I wil make money get turnt gif the bazck sometime.

  37. Here’s the truth no one needs to talk about:
    Studying the way to earn cash can enhance your finances in ways in which saving cash merely can not.

    Here is my homepage: make money online legit

  38. Good day! This is my 1st comment here so I just wanted to
    give a quick shout out and say I really enjoy reading your blog posts.
    Can you recommend any other blogs/websites/forums that deal with the same topics?
    Thank you!

  39. m88bet says:

    A reference guide to the best free sports streak games on-line where you can win cash and prizes simply by picking winners.

  40. I every time spent my half an hour to read this website’s
    articles everyday along with a mug of coffee.

  41. This piece of writing is truly a nice one it assists new internet visitors, who are
    wishing for blogging.

  42. google.com says:

    Learn more about what you need to do for your city by reading Leon Churchill reviews, or
    by visiting sites like planetizen. However, we have also
    reasoned that the natural laws which science have demonstrated to be true are not consistent with the origin of life
    and man. Only Cheltenham, who won the league at a canter (101
    points, 12 points from 2nd place.

  43. baby seat says:

    Pretty nice post. I just stumbled upon your weblog and wished
    to say that I’ve really enjoyed surfing around your blog posts.
    After all I will be subscribing to your feed and I hope you write again very soon!

  44. Darla says:

    I couldn’t resist commenting. Exceptionally well written!

  45. Pretty nice post. I simply stumbled upon your weblog and wanted to say that I
    have really loved surfing around your weblog posts. After all
    I’ll be subscribing on your feed and I am hoping you write again soon!

  46. Próteses e inserções.

  47. I don’t even know how I ended up here, but I thought this post was good.
    I do not know who you are but definitely you’re going to a famous blogger if you are not already 😉 Cheers!

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *