BootsnAll Travel Network



MY last day at work!And other things…

Yesterday was my very last day at work. For over a year I have worked multiple jobs, some at odd hours, to pay for this trip. It was extremely strange to realize that as of today I would be-unemployed! Today I ws thinking how much of my time is generally taken up by work,schedules,time management…basically MOST of my time for the past year. I liked my jobs, but it will be nice to not have to have a regular job for awhile.
Now I will be working-if you can call volunteering working-but it will be so much different. I will get to spend my time doing what I am most passionate about-helping people.

One of the first things people ask me when I tell them I’m about to go around the world volunteering is “How?”, and although I could answer that with exacting precision and detail ’til the cows come home, what they really mean is “Why?”
Our culture is so concerned about money,about our morgage,our car, our perfect job…I think it is hard for people to relate to why anyone would not be worried about those things, and prefer to focus on the other.

Lately, people just seem consumed with morgages and real estate and IRAs and being..what’s the word I’m looking for…Busy?Productive?…I’m not sure. I think all those things have their place, but, at least for me, that’s not what life is about. Realizing that that was not the center of my universe has given me tremendous faith and courage to have the life I have dreamed about.
I do not want to turn sixty(or fifty, for that matter),and translate my accomplishments into: worked, saved,spent, house,IRA. I would rather have some of that mixed with: travelled extensively,gave whatever could be given,loved passionately, believed ardently,life filled with friends and surprises.

It’s also interesting how many people have said to me how nice it is for me that I can go around the world, but they can’t. When I ask them why they can’t, it’s usually because their IDEA of travel isn’t really TRAVELLING-it’s staying in one place that is very expensive(like Paris), it’s not getting to know the people and culture of a place, without the comforts of home(which would obviously cost so much less!).
Of course, I will probably include some periods of time where I’m enjoying some nicer things,but I’d be bored if that’s all I did the whole trip.

As I said in an earlier post, giving up my the majority of my possessions makes the prospect of becoming a female nomad, however temporarily, such an easier task. (So many people I have met long to do this-but can’t for whatever reason. ) Too bad-It’s just liberating!

Sometimes people assume I must be rich-“Or how else can you go around the world?”, as though they have an around-the world-in-eighty-days on a cruise ship or something in mind when you say “world travel”. Of course I’m not rich! I’m travelling the old-fashioned way(or what I like to think of as the old fashioned way),like all the female adventurers before me.
This is so hard to explain to people sometimes-it seems like the more I try to explain,the more incomprehensible I become! So, I’m just giving up on explaining, and focusing on the doing. I have the sense that even though I don’t have alot of money, things will fall into place for me quite nicely. I’ve been amazed reading some travel sites, where people querie things like “Is 20,000 enough to go around the world?” and so on-I actaully want to spend as little as possible most of the time, so i can really experience the places I’m going. I don’t want 4* hotels and so on…that just seems so remote from how people actually live. That’s not even familiar to me in my life in the US!

Another thing People keep asking me is if I’m afraid to travel alone, as a woman. Well,yes,sometimes. But most of the time, no, I’m not. I’m actually finding the idea of travelling alone as a woman very empowering. Of course, there are days I play out the worst case scenario in my head-but I have a better chance of that happening here, than I do elsewhere.

OTHER STUFF: I have “road tested” my clothes and gear for awhile and made alot of changes. I got over a hundred emails from women who looked at the original list-with suggestions and-believe it or not, complaints. They thought my list was too conservative….I think it is fine, but I did make changes base on what worked best for me.

I also have heard back from most of the places I’ll be volunteering at the first part of the journey, and was surprised to learn that skirts were fine to wear even for outdoor work. I’ve been wearing this Macabi skirt for a week, and I literally can’t stop wearing it. It is the most comfortable, and flattering, skirt I’ve ever worn in my life! When I put on my Tilley pants after wearing this skirt, I could not stand them. So, I am only bringing these skirts.

(1) I was a little worried about being cold, but I bought some different wts of leggings, and rainpants, which have kept me quite toasty.

(2) I was also worried about mosquitos,but the lightest wt capilene leggings and a liberal about of deet should do the trick. I also asked my travel doc if pants were a neccessity in malaria/dengue fever/mosquito area, and he said it’s really about the deet protection you’ve got,and staying on the malaria meds. I’ve also read about people soaking the skirt in Pyrethrins, so I may do that to one of them.

(3) Of course, I was wondering about riding a camel in them (definitely camel-riding is mandatory sometime during my trip), and I asked the family in Jordan(that I will be staying with).. what they thought….they thought it was ridiculous NOT to ride a camel in a skirt(for a woman!) Isn’t that hilarious? I also had the privilege of talking to the woman who owns the Macabi skirt company, and she was just wonderful, answered all my questions (“DO any women travel with ONLY your skirt?” and so on..).

Tomarrow I get my Yellow Fever Shot, and on Friday I finish up my misc other vaccinations…I felt really badly the last time I got vaccinations, so I’m going to take it easy tomarrow. Still have lots of packing of my belongings to do tonight.



Tags:

14 responses to “MY last day at work!And other things…”

  1. Travelclown says:

    Everything WILL fall into place… As it always does…

  2. Thelma says:

    Wow what a beginning! sounds like thins are going well your first week. Quite amazing I feel so much for the kids going to school hungry. Being a parent my heart goes out
    to those little ones. It sounds lke you are in a good place where you are needed people need to know that otherpeople arond the world care enought to put there life and time into other people.

  3. When do you think this Real Estate market will go back up? Or is it still too early to tell? We are seeing a lot of housing foreclosures in Lake Mary Florida. What about you? Would love to get your feedback on this.

  4. Where do I locate my 5 digit Amazon pin?
    Video: Set Up Prime Video Pin

    On a PC or Mac, go to Prime Video Settings – Parental Controls. About the Prime Video app for iOS, select My Materials from the menu, then select the Settings icon.

  5. Wow I can say this is another extraordinary article true to form of this blog.Bookmarked this webpage.. 카지노사이트

  6. It’s really a nice and useful piece of information. I’m glad that you shared this helpful info with us. Please keep us up to date like this. Thanks for sharing. 파워볼사이트

  7. You made some decent points there. I looked over the internet with the issue and discovered most people goes along with with the web site. 토토사이트

  8. 사설토토 says:

    That is a really good tip particularly to those fresh to the blogosphere.
    Brief but very precise info… Thank you
    for sharing this one. A must read article!사설토토

  9. After looking through a few blog articles on your website,
    we sincerely appreciate the way you blogged.
    We’ve added it to our list of bookmarked web pages and will be checking back in the near
    future. Please also visit my website and tell us what you think.메이저놀이터

  10. Hey there, You have done a fantastic job.
    I will certainly digg it and personally suggest
    to my friends. I’m confident they’ll be benefited from this
    website.
    메이저놀이터코드

  11. Hello, you did a great job.
    I definitely dig it
    I would personally suggest to my friends. I have them
    I am sure you will benefit from the website
    <a href="https://www.imaginemegame.com"파워볼사이트

  12. okbet says:

    I Like!! Really appreciate you sharing this blog post.Really thank you! Keep writing.
    online sports betting

  13. alemelsyana says:

    شركة “عالم الصيانة والنظافة” هي شركة متخصصة في خدمات الصيانة والنظافة في الرياض. تعمل هذه الشركة على تلبية احتياجات العملاء في مجالات متنوعة، بدءًا من الصيانة المنزلية والتجارية، وصولًا إلى خدمات التنظيف الشاملة.تتميز شركة “عالم الصيانة والنظافة” بفريق مؤهل ومحترف يضم فنيين ذوي خبرة في مجالات الصيانة والنظافة. يتم توفير خدمات الصيانة للأجهزة المنزلية والأنظمة الكهربائية والسباكة والتكييف وغيرها، بهدف الحفاظ على سلامة وسلامة العملاء وضمان أنظمةهم تعمل بكفاءة.تشمل خدمات النظافة التي تقدمها الشركة التنظيف العام للمنازل والمكاتب والمباني التجارية، وتنظيف السجاد والمفروشات والموكيت، وتنظيف الزجاج والواجهات الزجاجية، وتنظيف الأرضيات والبلاط وتلميعها. تستخدم الشركة معدات ومواد تنظيف عالية الجودة لتحقيق نتائج مثالية وتلبية توقعات العملاء.بفضل خبرتها واهتمامها بالتفاصيل والجودة، تسعى شركة “عالم الصيانة والنظافة” لتقديم خدمات متميزة ورضا العملاء. تعتبر الشركة موثوقة وموجودة في الرياض، وتلتزم بالمواعيد وتقديم خدمة عملاء ممتازة.باختصار، شركة “عالم الصيانة والنظافة” تعد خيارًا موثوقًا للصيانة والنظافة في الرياض. توفر الشركة خدمات متنوعة ومتميزة في مجالات الصيانة والتنظيف، مع التركيز على الجودة ورضا العملاء.

    شركة نظافة بيوت بالرياض

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *