BootsnAll Travel Network



Feeling Free In Small Town America

Hey everyone. I keep meaning to write about my Indian adventures, but instead wind up writing about my everyday experiences right here in small-town America.

I think this is because for me, it’s a pretty fascinating experience, being here in my small town, being back in the States, being around alot values and beliefs that are so varied and  altogether dfferent than what I was in just recently.

When I came back here just a few weeks ago, I really didn’t think that it would be all interesting, especially after the places I’ve been and the things that I had seen.

But it’s turned out to be somewhat of a wild ride.

I mean, part of that is definitely emotional, but part of it is that it seems like everyone is speaking a foriegn language and has these strange customs which I’m not familiar with.

Like how people:

Greet each other and say goodbye(or not)

How people save face (or not)

How people talk about wealth alot (or not)

What is considered of value (and what is not)

How people approach politics, religion, and other important topics

What consists of appropriate small talk(or not)

How complicated peple’s lives seem to be (or not)

How people express opinions (or not)

How people present theselves (or not)

The way people deal with things here is so much different, and qualities people strive to have are also alot different. It’s not wrong what people want, it’s just very different than in India.

I find it interesting to take note of how much of Indian culture and customs really have affected the way I view things, almost acting as a filter for what is going on around me.

I have a closed and final way of looking at some things, which is very Indian–but also I have a new expansiveness that I ever really had before and this combination of perspective makes me more adaptable than I could have ever imagined myself to be. It’s so Indian to have both of these perspectives at the same time! It sometimes frustrated me alot in India to deal with this trait in others, so it’s surprising that I took some of it on and brought it home with me.

This adaptable quality is new to my way of looking at things and it makes everything somewhat of an adventure. It makes everyone very interesting–and sometimes strange– to me.

I’m always thinking to myself, ” What is that person trying to express by their dress, mode of speech, way they sit, car they drive, opinions expressed(or not) ?”

It’s almost as if I feel like everyone is in some weird tribe , which has it’s own rituals and so forth.

It’s hard for me to judge accurately what is wrong or right or in between, and in fact, the process of even doing that seems outdated and futile.

It’s like I’m an anthropologist living in a small town with groups of people defining themselves by alot of mysterious rites and kinship groups.

Which is exactly what it is.

I just never saw it that way before.

The really strange part abut it is that I find myself trying to..not necessarily fit in, but….align myself with the group or tribe that suits my perspectives, opinions, and so forth the best. And I’m doing this consciously for the first time in my life. I look back and wonder sometimes if I was actually ever this concious before now. My guess is that I wasn’t. How strange.

It means I’m thinking alot more about everything I am, and everything everyone else is, and how those two fit together.

And the strangest part about it all is that I’ve changed so much on my trip that… I don’t find myself particularly drawn to the groups or tribes that I was in before. I don’t know why, but I find myself spending more time alone than I probably ever have my entire life.

It’s partially because I am, actually, in spite of my frankness, a very private person, and I don’t feel like explaining myself too much at the moment (it’s been a wacky rollercoaster ride emotionally since I got back and how does one even begin to explain that? What a mess, for goodness’ sake!  They say time heals all wounds, so let’s hope so!)…and it’s partially because my ethics, morality, interests, my reason for living, I suppose is so drastically altered from what it was a mere two years ago that  it’s pretty difficult sometimes for me to relate to other people.

I still like and enjoy all the people that I knew before–such wonderful friends I have, who have helped me truly “come home” these last few weeks–but I find myself drawn to new people and experiences that I would have not been drawn to even a year ago.

For example, I went to a big party the other night with my friends from Mexico. They are all farm workers, very poor….but with great spirit and intellect. Such a smart, vital group of people and so loving and inclusive.

The party was for a girl’s seventh birthday, and there was a huge mess of tacos made with calf brains and all other sorts of strange foods; there was dancing and I salsa danced the night away; there was laughter and fervent declarations of love; and it went on long into the night.

I felt so at home with these friends of mine–not only because now I speak fluent Spanish–but because it was, I think… more relaxed to me… and more like the people I’ve spent the last years of my life with.

When I hear people talk about certain things like real estate or something, it feels like they are in some strange tribe speaking a different language! So being with people who were living in present moment–dancing, eating, talking, laughing–without the worry for tomorrow–well, that is something I’m a little more comfortable with!

And I’m just so different than who I was before that even my interests have changed so much that that also has redefined who I am and who I am drawn to.

For example, one of my main interests when I lived here before was art–and making it. I had art and art making pretty high up there, on pedestal of sorts, as though that particular form of self expression was better than anything else. And while I still see art and art making vital to both myself and the betterment of mankind, I see the process of who gets to make art as rather accidental. It’s a new, rather curious way of looking at something that was, before, so very important.

What has changed is that now I don’t hold that particular thing or process any higher than anything else. A person who paints for a living is no different than a person who fixes cars. It’s actually all just culture and luck and will, and those things are really just circumstances and nothing more. 

Plenty of poor, destitute people in the world would make great “fine artists” if they had the opportunity, but they don’t, so they make bowls out of tin cans or arrange the items in their hut beautifully…. or maybe they slave away all day at some grueling job and they don’t have the energy to  do anything else. So one isn’t higher than the other. And I used to think differently.

Spiritually, things have changed pretty drastically for me, too. I used to have what I would call a convenient spirituality–I used it when I needed it, and I forgot about it the rest of the time. Now I feel so connected spiritually to the planet, to God, to others, even, that I find I have this incredible sense of peacefulness and calmness that I never had before. I’m taken care of and I know it; and even though I do worry sometimes, it’s fleeting. I know that the path is pretty clear and I’m not alone on it, so that helps me to let go alot more than I would have been able to do before.

I’m not shy, either, about my beliefs or where I think I need to be with them. Taking spiritual inventory right now is not just an every once in awhile activity, but a daily activity–and sometimes even, hourly!– and something to approach with alot of joy and knowledge that I will only benefit. Thank goodness  I have faith, or what has happened to me recently (if you are behind on the blog, well…basically, I came home to a messy, complicated breakup that I wasn’t expecting.)..anyway, I could not have faced it. But taking spirtual inventory of myself really has helped me not only face it, it’s  helping me move on to what is the rest of my life.

Maybe this came from working with people who were really suffering and struggling and somehow that experience refined my soul. Whatever it was that made this overall change happen, I am grateful for it. It can be hard to face yourself and your situation sometimes, but believing in something greater than yourself–whatever that is for you–really puts it all into perspective.

The biggest change I think is that my goals are totally different, to the extent that I find my present and future almost unrecognizable to myself.

This, in particular, is what makes me feel a bit isolated –and it’s also extremely hard to explain to other people, who haven’t had the experiences I have had and have been living in what amounts to a different reality.

My goals are so large, vast and..I would say.. extreme(for this culture, anyhow!) …that most people I talk to get overwhelmed. “How will you do it all?”, they ask.

I can’t explain how, exactly…I just know, that’s all. And that’s enough for me. I just have totally different priorities for the rest of my life, and that changes how much I think I can do with the rest of my life. It’s that simple.

I’m happy, so happy, to be home, to have  place to be where I can be comfortable and just be myself.

But I’m just also realizing–somewhat simultaneously–that “just being myself” is a bit more complicated than I thought it would be, because what I’m learning is that I’ve changed so very much from my trip that some parts of  me I’m just discovering.

It’s an amazing journey, going around the world. It’s an amazing process, experience, and so forth..but what’s most astonishing is coming home and realizing that you’re a totally different human being with these new qualities that you never realized you had before.

It gives you tremendous perspective and a whole new chance to recreate your life as you want it to be, not as others expect to be.

It’s a little like waking up from a coma two years later and having particial amnesia, but having had the most fantastic dreams of your entire life for two years. It’s so freeing.

The main question I find myself asking everyday (to myself) is ,”Well, why not?” , because the first thing that comes to my mind everyday is that it is all a little scary and overwhelming( so much change, so many choices!) and how will I do it, anyway? But then, I just ask myself, well, what’s the alternative? And that leads to the question of, “Why not?”

So I feel like every door is open, all my options are option, I can go anywhere, do anything. It’s the most freedom I’ve ever felt in my life.

I think this liberating feeling of freedom  comes from having accomplished something that was only a dream to me in the past, and not only did I do it, it turned out better and more than I ever imagined that it would have. And there were so many people who didn’t think it could be done, or didn’t think it was wise, or important, or that it was too risky.

Well, I’m really glad that I didn’t listen and that I did it. I think any woman who travels alone comes back and says, ” I can see that I don’t have the limitations on me that I thought I had, and what’s next?”

So my thinking at the moment is that pretty much everything else can be treated exactly in the same manner–there are no impossibilites for me. I just have to feel free enough to do it.

And I do. I never thought I would be someone who would say this, but I’m free.

gigi



Tags:

14 responses to “Feeling Free In Small Town America”

  1. Yvelle says:

    I hope I can live as freely as you one day.

  2. Misti Spoerl says:

    I just like the helpful info you provide to your articles. I’ll bookmark your blog and test again right here regularly. I am quite certain I’ll learn a lot of new stuff right right here! Best of luck for the next!

  3. One thing I would really like to say is always that before buying more computer memory, check out the machine within which it could be installed. Should the machine is definitely running Windows XP, for instance, a memory ceiling is 3.25GB. Using a lot more than this would basically constitute just a waste. Make certain that one’s motherboard can handle the particular upgrade amount, as well. Great blog post.

  4. Rashida Siert says:

    Real good visual appeal on this website , Id value it 10 10.

  5. barrage lalla takerkouste au maroc – agence du bassin hydraulique de tensift…

    barrage lalla takerkouste au maroc – agence bassin hydraulique tensift…

  6. barrage lalla takerkouste au maroc – agence du bassin hydraulique de tensift…

    This is my expert…

  7. OKBet says:

    Great article Lot’s of information to Read…Great Keep Posting and update to People..Thanks
    OKBet

  8. It’s too bad to check your article late. I wonder what it would be if we met a little faster. I want to exchange a little more, but please visit my site casino online and leave a message!!

  9. dariohill says:

    The game features realistic physics and controls, multiple game modes, and a variety of tracks and locations to drift in. Players can also compete against other players online in multiplayer mode. The objective of the game is to become the ultimate drift champion by earning points and unlocking new cars and upgrades. My Website: Drift Hunters

  10. Jim says:

    Small towns where everyone knows each other are the best imo(esp after 10+years living in Dallas, it’s like a safe haven for me). The only downside is that if you need anything major – gotta ride to a big city sadly(I still visit DFW area even week or 2, picking up stuff like ammo, fishing supplies, maybe some optics – recently got myself a nice night vision scope from https://gritrsports.com/optics/sport-optics/night-vision/ ). Other than that, its all upsides in my book – clean air, no rush hours, no noise.

  11. One of the primary areas of my own fascination during my previous residency in this location was the realm of artistic expression, particularly in the context of art creation. I held art and the act of creating art in high regard, elevating it to a position of superiority over other forms of self-expression.

  12. roknalbostan says:

    تعتبر تسربات المياه مشكلة شائعة ومزعجة تواجه العديد من المنازل والمباني. تحدث تسربات المياه عندما يتسرب الماء من مصادره المعتادة ويتسرب إلى مناطق غير مرغوب فيها في المنزل. يمكن أن تنشأ التسربات من مصادر مختلفة مثل الأنابيب المكسورة أو التالفة، والختمات الضعيفة، والتهريب من صمامات الحنفيات وأجهزة الصرف.تسربات المياه يمكن أن تتسبب في تلف الهياكل والمباني والأثاث، وتسبب مشاكل صحية مثل نمو العفن والرطوبة الزائدة. قد يؤدي التسرب المستمر إلى تدهور جودة الهواء في المنزل وظهور روائح كريهة. بالإضافة إلى ذلك، قد يؤدي التسرب المستمر إلى زيادة في فواتير المياه والطاقة.للتعامل مع تسربات المياه، يجب تحديد مصدر التسرب وإصلاحه بشكل فوري. يمكن استدعاء فنيين متخصصين لتقييم وإصلاح التسربات بشكل دقيق وفعال. قد تتطلب بعض التسربات إجراءات إصلاح كبيرة مثل استبدال الأنابيب أو إعادة ختم الأسطح المتضررة.بشكل عام، من المهم الكشف عن تسربات المياه في وقت مبكر واتخاذ التدابير اللازمة للحد من التلف والمشاكل المحتملة. الصيانة الدورية والاهتمام بنظام الأنابيب والتشكيلات المائية في المنزل يمكن أن تساعد في منع حدوث تسربات المياه والحفاظ على سلامة المبنى وراحة السكان.

    الكشف عن تسريب المياه

  13. Your journey is truly inspiring! Embracing change and newfound perspectives is empowering. Buddy Assignment Help can aid you in navigating this transformative phase and unlocking new possibilities. Explore endless opportunities with our guidance!

  14. تقدم شركة كايرو هايتس مجموعة من أكبر المشروعات السكنية المتميزة وشقق للبيع بالقاهرة الجديدة والتجمع الخامس والعديد من الوحدات السكنية الراقية بعقارات بيت الوطن والتى تتميز بالخصوصية والهدوء والإطلالة الفريدة على حدائق ومساحات خضراء.
    تختار كايرو هايتس بالقاهرة الجديدة مشروعاتها بعناية وبمواقع استراتيجية بحيث تكون قريبة من مناطق الخدمات والمراكز الترفيهية وأشهر النوادى والمؤسسات التعليمية الهامة.
    شقق للبيع ببيت الوطن بالتقسيط

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *