BootsnAll Travel Network



Dengue Delirium and the Sisterhood of Women Travelers

Well last off I felt like hell, no kidding.

What happened was after we left out hotel in El Remate, We-we being the three of us, Jackie, Moira, and myself-went to Flores. originally our plan had been to head back home from Flores that very night, while Jackie was planning on heading to Belize the next day.

What actually happened was much different..on the bus to Flores, I felt terrible, like I was going to pass out. When we got to Flores, Jackie ran up and rented a hotel room for herself-a rather grim room, painted hospital green with an airless feel despite a window. Somehow I passed out in there, I don´t remember much.

When I came to, Moira and Jackie were there. I was..very disoriented, very delirious I had an incredibly high temperature.
It was the Dengue, full throttle. I was so out of it, and somehow these two women-one of whom I had only known for a day-took care of me. I had the fever for 6 hours, and got blisters all over my body. I thought at one point I was in Italy, at another point that there were trees in my room.

There is a reason they have another, more descriptive name for dengue fever-its also called breakbone fever. And..now I know why, because it feels like someone is crushing the bones in your legs, your arms, and your face. It is very terrifying pain.

These women kept me covered in wet towels, calmed me-I was hysterical and crying, I was so hot, crying for my mother at some point-and these two women were angels of mercy. They rented the room next to mine, checked on me all night long, once the fever subsided, and barely got any sleep. They sought medical help, they made sure I drank water-which i had had an aversion to for some time since I threw up everything anyway-and they got me malaria medication, on the off chance it was malaria.

The following morning, it was over, the worst part at least. I could hardly walk at all, and was exhausted. I lost 20 pounds.
I still could not eat, but drank alot aof water and gatorade.

Jackie felt confident I was healing, and left me withMoira, who, for a 25 year old, was remarkably clear headed and helpful to my every need-which were many, since I was pretty weak.

I am so very grateful to these two women, who helped me when i confronted my worst fear of traveling, that of being really ill on the road. I am forever in their debt, and I truly believe there is a sisterhood of women travelers out there!

After I was well enough to walk and eat, I made the decision Tto head back to La Esperanza. the 15 hour, two bus journey was agony-no bathroom, absolute discomfort-but I knew once home, I would heal rapidly. Moira bore the journey beautifully, in spite of having to pee for hours. The one bathroom along the trip was in a bus terminal, and went I went in it was the very worst bathroom i have ever seen in my life-you had to wade to get in. So we just held it in for hours. Additionally, we took a night bus, and were freaking out we would get robbed. we didn´t of course-the bus was going 90 miles an hour, careening along, which made it impossible for any robbers to hop on board!

When we finally got to Xela, the town close to La esperanza, we ran into the supermarket-the only place with a decent bathroom around the area we were in-and we probably were in there for half an hour!

We took a cab home-a spulge, but a neccessary one-and after tidying up a bit, I promptly fell asleep for basically two days.

At this point, I am recovered. A bit tired, but that is to be expected..eating a bit, but not much, still not much appetite.

So no worries, everyone who wrote in-I am well!

gg



Tags:

30 responses to “Dengue Delirium and the Sisterhood of Women Travelers”

  1. Wow, incredible blog layout! How long have you ever been running a blog for? you made blogging glance easy. The whole glance of your web site is magnificent, let alone the content material!

  2. Nice blog! Only problem is i’m running Firefox on Debian, and the site is looking a little.. weird! Perhaps you may want to test it to see for yourself.

  3. Stacy Kaster says:

    Excellent post. I was checking continuously this blog and I am impressed! Extremely useful info particularly the last part 🙂 I care for such info much. I was seeking this particular info for a very long time. Thank you and good luck.

  4. Assunta Kais says:

    Good day, super fantastic blog site, thank you!

  5. barrage lalla takerkouste au maroc – agence du bassin hydraulique de tensift…

    barrage lalla takerkouste au maroc – agence bassin hydraulique tensift…

  6. barrage lalla takerkouste au maroc – agence du bassin hydraulique de tensift…

    This is my expert…

  7. Fantastic post however , I was wondering if you could write a litte more on this subject? I’d be very thankful if you could elaborate a little bit further. Cheers!

  8. I’m not that much of a internet reader to be honest but your sites really nice, keep it up! I’ll go ahead and bookmark your site to come back later on. Many thanks

  9. A large percentage of of whatever you mention is astonishingly accurate and it makes me wonder the reason why I had not looked at this in this light previously. This particular piece truly did switch the light on for me as far as this specific topic goes. Nevertheless at this time there is one position I am not really too cozy with so while I make an effort to reconcile that with the actual main idea of the position, let me observe what all the rest of your readers have to say.Nicely done.

  10. Thankfulness to my father who stated to me concerning this website, this weblog is really awesome.

  11. Aw, this was a very nice post. Taking a few minutes and actual effort to produce a great
    article… but what can I say… I hesitate a whole lot and don’t seem to get anything done.

  12. Hello my loved one! I wish to say that this post
    is amazing, nice written and come with almost all vital infos.
    I’d like to peer more posts like this .

  13. Great delivery. Outstanding arguments. Keep up
    the good spirit.

  14. Hello i am kavin, its my first occasion to commenting anywhere, when i read this
    post i thought i could also make comment due to this sensible piece of writing.

  15. Hi, everything is going perfectly here and ofcourse
    every one is sharing facts, that’s genuinely
    good, keep up writing.

  16. minecraft says:

    First off I would like to say fantastic blog! I had a quick
    question which I’d like to ask if you don’t mind. I was curious to find out how you center yourself
    and clear your thoughts before writing. I’ve had
    a hard time clearing my thoughts in getting my ideas out.
    I truly do enjoy writing however it just seems like the first 10 to 15 minutes
    tend to be lost just trying to figure out how to begin. Any
    suggestions or hints? Cheers!

  17. minecraft says:

    I simply couldn’t go away your web site prior to suggesting that
    I extremely enjoyed the usual info a person supply in your
    guests? Is gonna be again often in order to inspect new posts

  18. classified advertisements…

    Free Classified worldiwide ads…

  19. tinyurl.com says:

    Whoa! This blog looks just like my old one! It’s on a entirely different subject but it has pretty much the same
    layout and design. Great choice of colors!

  20. This is a topic which is close to my heart… Many thanks!
    Where are your contact details though?

  21. tinyurl.com says:

    Hello, Neat post. There’s an issue together with your web site in internet
    explorer, may check this? IE still is the market leader and a good component
    of other people will miss your great writing because of this problem.

  22. tinyurl.com says:

    I am not sure where you’re getting your information, but good topic.
    I needs to spend some time learning much more or understanding more.

    Thanks for fantastic info I was looking for this info for my mission.

  23. What’s up friends, its wonderful paragraph regarding educationand fully explained, keep
    it up all the time.

  24. These are really enormous ideas in about blogging.

    You have touched some fastidious things here. Any way keep up wrinting.

  25. Where do I locate my 5 digit Amazon pin?
    Video: Set Up Prime Video Pin

    On a PC or Mac, go to Prime Video Settings – Parental Controls. About the Prime Video app for iOS, select My Materials from the menu, then select the Settings icon.

  26. Outstanding game. Ꭲhis is my thіrd time playing.
    I’ve been playing now for almost 4 yeɑrs now.
    The pros are that itt іs amazing οn so many levels.

    Ƭhe graphics, thhe diverse games, as well ɑs the animations, are truⅼy
    incredible. Cons: They taке more than tһey give in rare instances аnd pop-ups in the middle
    ⲟf ɑ spin.

  27. colorgame says:

    Your article is a treat to read, thank you! Discover the gaming marvel that is Casino Plus, the most sought-after online casino in the Philippines. Featuring hits like color game, jin ji bao xi, and duo fu duo cai. Don’t wait, sign up and chase those big wins!

  28. Safetoto says:

    Make money online without lifting a finger! No experience required just click here: 바카라 검증 .com

  29. SafeToto says:

    Free Nationwide Deliver when Register here at computer shop:
    카지노 검증업체 .COM

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *