BootsnAll Travel Network



Camino de Santiago No. 4: Hobbling to Akerreta

I left Zubiri in the morning in better spirits, determined to do what I could as far as the Camino was concerned.

Having spent the previous night nursing both my ankle and my psyche, I had decided that the injury happening so soon was perhaps a blessing in disguise.

From the very start of the Camino, I had been really surprised by all the rushing around to be the fastest, the best, and so on. Maybe this was because although I just spent a week in the States before arriving in Spain, I´m still living by Central American time and values. I have to admit a certain amount of culture shock upon arrival to Spain, which seemed to have only worsened with the start of the Camino.

But I think it is also that here I am in one of the most beautiful places I´ve ever seen-and, I want to see it. I don´t just want to get thru it. I want to experience it, I want to savor it.

So I began to see the injury as a gift, really. It´s forcing me to create my own Camino, to go my own way-which is slower and perhaps more interested in the journey than in the arriving at any particular destination. In fact, I realized that I may never arrive in Santiago at all-and if and when I do, the Compostella(the paper saying you walked the last 100 km) may end up not being terribly important to me.

So, this new revelation in mind, I dawdled over a breakfast of apples and granola, and then hobbled out to meet a new day on the Camino.

With this more enlightened(for me, anyway) and relaxed approach, the next few hours were heavenly. Every old building I passed, I touched. Every pasture of cows and sheep, I stood and watched. Rounding a corner and hearing the tinkling of cowbells sounded like a beautiful eerie song to my ears. Stopping at makers along the Camino, I made time to pick a few flowers and place them on the gravestones. Another walker, a man from Australia, walked with me for a bit and told me about his divorce and his spiritual reasons for walking the Camino, and then disappeared on ahead of me. A woman watering her flowers outside her enormous stone cottage stopped and shook my hand, wiping her muddy hand on her housedress first. A man with an enormous dog- which came lumbering towards me down the path and scared me to death-apologized and invited me for coffee and eggs with his wife.

Meanwhile, other walkers walked by me, poles and walking sticks clanking into the earth.

I arrived in Larrasona, a tiny hamlet, just as the sun was coming out in all its glory. I walked around a bit, hoping the refugio would open soon. However, it was too early, and so I decided I could make it to Trinidad de Arre, the next stop in my booklet.

I didn´t quite make it…I ended up stopping in front of this absolutely beautiful hotel in Akerreta, a tiny vilage. I was struck by the beauty of the building before I realized it was a hotel.

A group of tourists were in front of it, waiting for a taxi. Actually, they were walking the Camino as well, but doing it in high-style, walking only the parts they chose, staying at hotels, and sending taxis on with their bags the entire way. One of them was a doctor, who insisted on looking at my ankle.

A chair was brought out and my poor ankle was shown to the doctor, as well as his wife and all of their friends, the owner of the hotel, and a man walking by with his dog.

¨You need to stop. You can´t possibly walk on this ankle.¨, he said. Great. Unfortunately, I was far from Tinidad de Arre-actually, 12.5 kilometers!

The owner of the hotel offered a room. Someone had cancelled, so it was a huge double room, but he would give it to me for the single price. With breakfast. And dinner, all organic, from his garden. I gasped at the price, but-what was I to do?

The room he gave me was magnificent. I can safely say that it was the nicest room, the nicest view, the nicest hotel I have ever stayed in in my life.

The hotel has been a real labor of love for the owner and his wife, who only opened it four years ago, after many years of work. It is classic for the region-a kind of 3/4 story house, which was divided into sections. The animals lived on the bottom floors, with the familiy in the secons story, and the dovecote above on the third story. My room looked out onto the entire Basque valley, and was actually an original bedroom, with the original hand hewn wood, original tiny shuttered windows, and even original furniture.

The owner gave me a tour of the place, and it was so beautiful. He said he wasn´t in it for the money-he was doing it because he loved his part of Spain, he did it as a labor of love. He said that most people just let these old buildings fall down now, and then move the rubble away to build new ugly apartment buildings. How sad.

Best of all, the hotel had one of the only surviving original ovens in the Navarra region-the only other one is in a monastery-and it was in incredible condition. You could actually walk into it, and the ovens were enormous. The chimney alone was two stories tall.

Everyone else staying at the place were either doing the Camino or they were locals, visiting families as it was First Communion time for kids of that age in the area.

Dinner was a luxurious affair, with my own solitary table, my own bottle of wine(!), a fanatastic soup of salted cod; lamb; and salad of white asparagus(famous in this area of Spain) and a creamy dessert made of sheeps milk that you ate drizzled with honey.

I have to say, it was worth it. My ankle and mind well rested, I blissfully fell asleep, and awoke the next day ready for Trinidad de Arre.

gigi



Tags:

267 responses to “Camino de Santiago No. 4: Hobbling to Akerreta”

  1. ppu-prof_Bek says:

    Забота о резиденции – это забота о спокойствии. Изоляция наружных поверхностей – это не только стильный внешний вид, но и обеспечение сохранения тепла в вашем уголке уюта. Мы, наши мастера, предлагаем вам сделать ваш дом в идеальное место для жизни.
    Наши работы – это не просто утепление, это художественная работа с каждым элементом. Мы придерживаемся гармонии между визуальным восприятием и практической целесообразностью, чтобы ваш дом преобразился не только комфортным, но и изысканным.
    И самое существенное – доступные расценки! Мы полагаем, что профессиональные услуги не должны быть дорогим удовольствием. [url=https://ppu-prof.ru/]Сколько стоит работа утепление фасада[/url] начинается всего от 1250 руб/кв. метр.
    Использование современных материалов и технологий позволяют нам создавать утепление, которое долговечно и надежно. Забвение о холодных стенах и избежание лишних расходов на отопление – наше утепление станет вашим надежным защитником от холода.
    Подробнее на [url=https://ppu-prof.ru/]www.ppu-prof.ru[/url]
    Не откладывайте на потом заботу о удовольствии в вашем доме. Обращайтесь к специалистам, и ваш уголок станет настоящим архитектурным искусством, которое согреет вас не только теплом. Вместе мы создадим дом, в котором вам будет по-настоящему комфортно!

  2. ppu-prof_Bek says:

    Забота о обители – это забота о приятности. Тепловая обработка фасадов – это не только модный облик, но и обеспечение теплового комфорта в вашем удобном уголке. Мастера, команда профессионалов, предлагаем вам преобразить ваше жилище в идеальное жилище.
    Наши творческие решения – это не просто тепловая обработка, это творчество с каждым кирпичом. Мы добиваемся идеальному балансу между формой и содержанием, чтобы ваш дом стал не только теплым и стильным, но и изысканным.
    И самое важное – приемлемые расходы! Мы верим, что качественные услуги не должны быть сверхдорогими. [url=https://ppu-prof.ru/]Утепление дома снаружи цена квадратного метра[/url] начинается всего от 1250 руб/м².
    Современные технологии и высококачественные материалы позволяют нам создавать изоляцию, которая долго сохраняет свои свойства и надежна. Позабудьте о проблеме холодных стен и избегайте дополнительных расходов на отопление – наше утепление станет вашим надежным препятствием перед холодом.
    Подробнее на [url=https://ppu-prof.ru/]http://ppu-prof.ru/[/url]
    Не откладывайте на потом заботу о счастье в вашем уголке. Обращайтесь к квалифицированным специалистам, и ваш дом преобразится настоящим художественным произведением, которое дарит тепло и радость. Вместе мы создадим дом, в котором вам будет по-настоящему удобно!

  3. Henry Watson says:

    Certainly! If you could provide more details about your assignment, such as the topic, specific questions, or any guidelines given by your instructor, I’d be happy to assist you. The more information you provide, the better I can help you with your Assignment Help. Additionally, let me know if there’s a particular format or style you need for your assignment.

  4. abogado flsa says:

    Thanks for shairng this post. I got information on this site .Keep sharing.

  5. Plisse_Fah says:

    Дорогие Друзья!
    Предлагаем вам свежее элемент в мире декора интерьера – шторы плиссе. Если вы аспирируете к совершенству в любой подробности вашего домашнего, то эти портьеры станут замечательным предложением для вас.
    Что делает шторы плиссе настолько же неповторимыми? Они объединяют в себе выгоду, работоспособность и сущность. Благодаря специальной форме, инновационным тканям, шторы плиссе идеально гармонизируются с для любого другого помещения, будь то хата, спальня, плита или рабочее поляна.
    Закажите [url=https://tulpan-pmr.ru]плиссированная штора для пластиковых окон[/url] – совершите уют и великолепие в вашем доме!
    Чем привлекательны шторы плиссе для вас? Во-первых, их уникальный декор, который присоединяет к прелесть и вкус вашему декору. Вы можете отыскать из разнородных текстур, цветов и стилей, чтобы подчеркнуть особенность вашего жилища.
    Кроме того, шторы плиссе предлагают многочисленный ряд практических вариантов. Они могут управлять уровень света в месте, оберегать от солнечных лучей, предоставлять конфиденциальность и создавать уютную обстановку в вашем доме.
    Наш интернет-ресурс: [url=https://tulpan-pmr.ru]tulpan-pmr.ru[/url]
    Мы поддержим вам выбрать шторы плиссе, которые замечательно подходят к для вашего дизайна!

  6. ppu-prof_Pt says:

    Наша бригада опытных исполнителей завершена предлагать вам перспективные подходы, которые не только подарят долговечную защиту от заморозков, но и подарят вашему жилищу современный вид.
    Мы занимаемся с последовательными материалами, утверждая долгий время использования и великолепные эффекты. Теплоизоляция наружных стен – это не только экономия энергии на отоплении, но и внимание о природной среде. Энергоэффективные инновации, какие мы применяем, способствуют не только дому, но и сохранению природы.
    Самое основополагающее: [url=https://ppu-prof.ru/]Средняя цена утепления фасада[/url] у нас стартует всего от 1250 рублей за метр квадратный! Это бюджетное решение, которое превратит ваш дом в действительный приятный местечко с небольшими затратами.
    Наши проекты – это не единственно утепление, это разработка поля, в котором каждый компонент показывает ваш уникальный манеру. Мы рассмотрим все ваши потребности, чтобы преобразить ваш дом еще еще более дружелюбным и привлекательным.
    Подробнее на [url=https://ppu-prof.ru/]https://stroystandart-kirov.ru[/url]
    Не откладывайте заботу о своем помещении на потом! Обращайтесь к мастерам, и мы сделаем ваш дом не только тепличным, но и изысканнее. Заинтересовались? Подробнее о наших предложениях вы можете узнать на сайте компании. Добро пожаловать в универсум комфорта и качества.

  7. A culinary magazine once conducted a test in which they used different sets of measuring spoons to measure out one tablespoon, and the results were inconsistent. It is not good, but perhaps it is not that big of a deal.

  8. I once witnessed an experiment conducted by a culinary magazine in which they used multiple sets of measuring spoons to measure out one tablespoon, and the results were inconsistent. Unfavourable, but perhaps not that significant in the grand scheme of things.

  9. Cricket id says:

    One time, I witnessed a test conducted by a food magazine in which they used different sets of measuring spoons to measure out one tablespoon. Not good, but perhaps not that important in the grand scheme of things.

  10. A culinary magazine once conducted a test in which they used different sets of measuring spoons to measure out one tablespoon, and the results were inconsistent. It is not good, but perhaps it is not that big of a deal.

  11. circket id says:

    I once witnessed an experiment conducted by a culinary magazine in which they used multiple sets of measuring spoons to measure out one tablespoon, and the results were inconsistent. Unfavourable, but perhaps not that significant in the grand scheme of things.

  12. One time, I watched a test conducted by a culinary magazine in which they used different sets of measuring spoons to measure out one tablespoon. Not good, but perhaps not that significant in the grand scale of things.

  13. circket id says:

    One time, I witnessed a test conducted by a food magazine in which they used different sets of measuring spoons to measure out one tablespoon. Not good, but perhaps not that important in the grand scheme of things.

  14. One time, I watched a test conducted by a culinary magazine in which they used different sets of measuring spoons to measure out one tablespoon. Not good, but perhaps not that significant in the grand scale of things.One time, I watched a test conducted by a culinary magazine in which they used different sets of measuring spoons to measure out one tablespoon. Not good, but perhaps not that significant in the grand scale of things.

  15. We will guide you through the process of obtaining a reputable and dependable IPL Betting ID Online, granting you access to endless betting opportunities and ensuring an seamless and user-friendly betting journey.

  16. Seo-Ul-Gax says:

    Мы эксперты специалистов по поисковой оптимизации, занимающихся увеличением посещаемости и рейтинга вашего сайта в поисковых системах.
    Мы получили заметные достижения и стремимся передать вам наши знания и опыт.
    Какие возможности открываются перед вами:
    • [url=https://seo-prodvizhenie-ulyanovsk1.ru/]тарифы продвижение сайта[/url]
    • Глубокий анализ вашего сайта и формирование индивидуального плана продвижения.
    • Повышение эффективности контента и технических аспектов вашего сайта.
    • Постоянное отслеживание результатов и анализ вашего онлайн-присутствия с целью его совершенствования.
    Подробнее [url=https://seo-prodvizhenie-ulyanovsk1.ru/]https://seo-prodvizhenie-ulyanovsk1.ru/[/url]
    Клиенты, с которыми мы работаем, уже видят результаты: увеличение посещаемости, улучшение рейтинга в поисковых системах и, конечно, рост бизнеса. Вы можете получить бесплатную консультацию у нас, для того чтобы обсудить ваши потребности и разработать стратегию продвижения, соответствующую вашим целям и финансовым возможностям.
    Не упустите возможность увеличить прибыль вашего бизнеса в онлайн-мире. Свяжитесь с нами прямо сейчас.

  17. Larrynouck says:

    PBN sites
    We shall generate a web of PBN sites!

    Advantages of our private blog network:

    We execute everything so google does not understand THAT this is A PBN network!!!

    1- We buy domain names from distinct registrars

    2- The main site is hosted on a VPS hosting (VPS is high-speed hosting)

    3- The rest of the sites are on distinct hostings

    4- We allocate a unique Google account to each site with confirmation in Google Search Console.

    5- We make websites on WP, we don’t utilize plugins with assisted by which malware penetrate and through which pages on your websites are established.

    6- We do not repeat templates and employ only exclusive text and pictures

    We refrain from work with website design; the client, if wanted, can then edit the websites to suit his wishes

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *