BootsnAll Travel Network



A Short Rant On Why I Want To Save The World

So I’ve gotten a few emails lately..about the new look of this blog, and it’s changeover to a different kind of theme than what it was in the past. It’s got a new subtitle, a new blog list, and a whole new…character.

Now, when I started out, I was perfectly happy just saying I was volunteering and traveling for awhile. But–I’ve changed the subtitle to reflect the most recent changes I’ve gone through. The new subtitle says, “woman saves world–and self”.

In spite of the fact that some people think it’s ridiculous to even try to do such a thing, let alone say it..I’m really quite content with the change. It makes sense to me and to the direction my life seems to be taking.

I was reading a volunteer site the other day..one of sites where you pay to go somewhere and volunteer for a few weeks. In their online introduction, they said , ” Never think that you are going to change the world by being  a volunteer. You will be very disappointed if you go into a volunteer placement with that expectation.”

Well, this sort of chatter made sense to me..a year ago. But now it seems incredible that people are actually told that they will not change the world, save the world, cause a revolution, create a miracle..just by volunteering or by leading  a life of service.

I mean, why not? Why can’t it change the world? Why can’t we save the world?

It’s this attitude that often brings me down. I really dislike it when I come across it in literature or in individuals.

I have not found it to be true, and I’ve been volunteering and traveling the globe for a year now.

What I have found to be true, however, is that change happens within. In order to change the world, I’ve got to allow my world as I know it to be turned inside out. Everything I know, everything I believe has to be tested.

Those of you sending me emails who don’t like the changes in the blog..you frustrate me. I do not know how to convince you that change is possible.

I have thought this over and decided on a solution. Please come join me in Panama this following summer and live in the jungle for a few weeks with an indigenous tribe. I will be working in the mountains in a very remote location teaching English, basic health care, and lots of other things. It will be a gritty two weeks for you, but it will literally change your life. You will cast aside your idea that change–world change is not possible. You will cast aside the idea that you are not only vital for that change to happen–you are the change that is going to happen.

End of rant. Thank you for listening.

And–any interested parties–please contact me. I will be in Panama from May until sometime in October, and you are very welcome to join me there.

gigi

and some food for thought…

” Life’s most urgent question: What are you doing for others?” – Martin Luther King Junior

” Teach this triple truth to all: A generous heart, kind speech, and a life of service and compassion are the only things that will renew humanity.”- Buddha

” Start with what is necessary, then with what is possible; and suddenly, you find you are doing the impossible.” – St. Francis of Assissi.

” Conciously or unconciously, everyone does render some service or another. If we cultivate the habit of doing this serivce, deliberately, our desire for service will steadily grow stronger, and will make not only for our own happiness–but that of the world at large.”- Mohandas Ghandi



Tags:

63 responses to “A Short Rant On Why I Want To Save The World”

  1. Home says:

    Incredible points. Sound arguments. Keep up the good effort.|

  2. Hi there, I discovered your website via Google at the same time as looking for a related topic, your website came up, it seems great. I’ve bookmarked it in my google bookmarks.

  3. Hiya very nice web site!! Guy .. Beautiful .. Superb .. I’ll bookmark your site and take the feeds also…I’m glad to seek out a lot of helpful information here within the submit, we’d like develop extra strategies in this regard, thank you for sharing.

  4. I have recently started a blog, the information you provide on this website has helped me greatly. Thanks for all of your time & work. “Cultivation to the mind is as necessary as food to the body.” by Marcus Tullius Cicero.

  5. Leigh Mongon says:

    You have noted very interesting points! ps nice internet site.

  6. Terra Palek says:

    You have observed very interesting points ! ps decent site. “The appearance of right oft leads us wrong.” by Horace.

  7. I really appreciate this post. I’ve been looking everywhere for this! Thank goodness I found it on Bing. You’ve made my day! Thank you again!

  8. Jean Richter says:

    Some really superb content on this site, appreciate it for contribution. “The key to everything is patience. You get the chicken by hatching the egg, not by smashing it.” by Arnold Glasgow.

  9. Dead pent written content, appreciate it for information. “Necessity is the mother of taking chances.” by Mark Twain.

  10. You have observed very interesting points! ps nice website.

  11. Darnell Adel says:

    I truly enjoy examining on this site, it holds great articles . “Violence commands both literature and life, and violence is always crude and distorted.” by Ellen Glasgow.

  12. As soon as I discovered this internet site I went on reddit to share some of the love with them.

  13. Shyla Rabuck says:

    I like this website very much, Its a really nice place to read and find information. “A fair exterior is a silent recommendation.” by Publilius Syrus.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *