BootsnAll Travel Network



Some catching up to do! Thurs 17th Raglan/ Moreau

Well basically I’ve done a lot of travelling to get to here. The night in Wellington after our ferry ride was a shop and eat evening. The views on the ferry were wonderful. Another ‘Sound’ but this time really a sound in that it was made by a river. The landscape at the top of South Island was green, hilly and mainly rural with small towns and cows, sheep and deer grazing in the fields. Wellington was lovely with a mix of old, traditional buildings and very modern ones. We saw the main government office with the 2 flags flying that are in competition for the new national flag. I must say I think it’s time they had a flag without the union jack on it and the silver fern is the most popular symbol here. It was a bit of a shock to see traffic lights and crowds of people – going home or to work. They still had palm trees in the street though. Wellington’s Maori name is Okiwi. Must mention that the scenic route along the coast up to Picton included a place where they had baby doll sheep! These are the ‘hobbits’ of sheep world! Short little legs. The ferry cost $53 if anyone is interested in costs. Nat was leaving us as our driver after Wellington and our new driver was Twinkles – reminded me of my nephew Rowan – tall with red hair and beard. A colourful character. Did I mention that Nat had knocked over and killed a sheep?! It was on the road from Mt Cook to lake Takepo. Big drama. Damaged bus as well. She had never done that before and I think it shook her up – not her fault as it ran out in front of the bus.
I am getting quite a taste for lamb here. I had backstrap lamb at Mt Cook and at Rangitata i had butterfly cut lamb and in Wellington i had lamb rump. Delicious! I ate at a corner bar restaurant called The Tasting Room.
Ok, we entered the North Island and the landscape was very
similar to the top of the north. It was raining and misty and we had a 10 hour drive to Aukland where i would part company with my friends Lorna, Magnus and Fredrik. The young men were from Norway and really friendly. It was Fredrik’s birthday the day we were driving up so we sang happy birthday and did a Norweigen dance in the aisle at one of our stops. I had booked into the Yha, not fancying the Base in Auckland as so big and busy. The only downside was it was up a very steep hill! Not too far fortunately and a Chinese man helped me with my case. Took pity on the gasping old woman! I slept well and was ready to set off with our new driver Pickle. It was a 7.30 start to Raglan and at one point i realised we were driving through the Four Brothers Scenic Reserve. Much more Maori influence up north and not in the same context, but more cows than sheep. We stopped briefly at Waireinga or the bridal waterfall – the moari means leaping waters – very apt I thought! We reached Karioi Lodge about 12.30. What a bwautiful spot overlooking Raglan and the sea. It was almost like a jungle retreat. The rooms were built on the side of a hill in ‘floors’. I was on the 4th and top floor with spectacular views. My driver had to carry my case up all the steps though! Some went surfing, some to the beach. I stayed in paradise, read had a little explore, laid in hammock and drank tea until it was time for the group meal of fish and chips picked up by Pickle. Yummy. I watched the last half of Superman film with a can of Heinekan – awful stuff- and then went for shower. I was asleep for 9! Up today and out for 8. I have booked to join the cultural event this evening – maori hospitality. I’ll see how it goes! Kiaroa!



Tags:

Leave a Reply