BootsnAll Travel Network



Rotorua – goodbye Mourea!

Last night was a wonderful experience for me. I had nearly cancelled going as I said because i thought it would be patronising to the Maoris, but it was not as I expected. We arrived at their ceremonial hall, greeted by T ( name too hard to remember) and went through the welcome ceremony. Women first followed by men. We paused half way to the entrance to leave our thoughts of worries about people or other issues. We went into the hall with no shoes, hats, food or drink to be taken in. The hall was almost church like but had large ceiling to floor maori carvings in red – a bit like totem poles really. There were photos of ancestors who had passed away. We could not take photos of the carvings or the photos but the people there could be photographed. The women sat down behind the men as we were addressed in maori by T’s brother. We then lined up to do hungi – touching noses twice – with PeeWee the brother and in turn with each other. We now were part of the family and everything relaxed. These were contemporary maoris and dressed in every day clothes. T explained that it was the younger generation who were now trying to ensure that the maori language and traditions were continued and grew. Maoris are only 12% of the NZ population now. Often the parents or grand-parents couldn’t speak maori. Reminded me of the new strengthening of Welsh culture and language at home. We were then given a roast chicken dinner – chicken, roast potatoes, roasted squah and sweet potato, peas and gravy – YUM! This was followed by fruit salad, chocolate pieces and custard (cold). We were given time to shower before the ‘show’. This was part demonstration, part audience participation and part performance. There were two women and two men. The women demonstrated how to use Poi balls – in the past stones wrapped in grasses and skins on a rope. These produced a beat on their arms or added interest to a dance (reminded me of drum majorettes). The men did a dance with sticks and then they were joined by the women. This reminded me of Morris dancing. We joined in a dance very similar to the okey cokey and then split into a men and women group. The men ( only 3 in our group). We were taught how to do a Poi dance (with the balls on a rope). I was in fits of laughter as my balls were all over the place and hardly in line with everyone else! Anyway, the men did the haka and we did the dance. I am hoping that one of the girls is sending me a video of our dance. Such a fun evening. T came into the hall as we were going to bed to answer more questions. All very natural. We all put our mattresses down in the hall and added sheets, pillows and cases, sleeping bag liners and sleeping bags. We settled down after a maori story from T. It felt odd in one way but absolutely ok on another. We were given breakfast before we left at 7.30! I was dropped off in Rotorua at 8am only to be told I couldn’t get on a bus until 3.40pm. It will be 7.30 before I get to Auckland. Never mind, Paihia for 3 nights after that. Been to the Museum here in Rotorua and had a walk round Government Gardens which was interesting. Got a really good photo of a Pukeko and chicks there. Going for some lunch now and then will be time for the bus. Bye for now!



Tags:

Leave a Reply