BootsnAll Travel Network



Hong Kong 25/3/16 No rain!

I have been out today in this busy crowded place. I felt all day that I needed to stop and be alone, quietly in a comfy chair! I managed to get an octopus card that I needed apparently to pay for things here like metro and other public transport. These are very cheap and it is all very well organised. I really do feel like a novice here! The language is a problem as I don’t speak Mandarin but many people speak English and are very eager to help. I got on a bus to one of the tour bus stopping off points aided by a couple who told me when it was my stop. It was opposite Victoria Park. I went on the tour, getting a stiff neck from looking up at the amazing buildings. I got off at the tram stop that takes you up to Victoria Peak. It was crazy! Loads of people waiting under an overpass to cross the road to join the queue to go on the tram. It is a very old venicular tram built in 1826 originally. The steepness of the hill must have been 45 degree angle! At the top you emerge into an aladdin’s cave of market stalls and shops and restaurants. I proceeded to go up escalator after escalator to get to the peak.
The view was spectacular over 360 degrees. You are given a free recorded audio guide which was excellent. And then down. I had a break for lunch up there – $76 for greek salad, doughnut and large tea – about £7. It took me a while to find the going down tram but managed eventually. Back on the bus to finish the tour. We saw The Fringe Club, one of the oldest buildings in Hong Kong, now an arts centre. Then the Man Mo temple before arriving at the ferry pier. I decided I was too tired to go on the ferry so decided to go back to where I started. We passed the Golden Bauhinia Square marking the spot where the handover to China took place in 1997. I remember Chris Pattern being the governor of Hong Kong at the time. I got off the bus at Victoria Park and decided a walk through the park after all the busy places would be nice. It was. It was separated in gardens, playgrounds for children, sport and exercise areas. I came out and was very pleased with myself that I found the metro/MTR and got on using my Octopus card. I got off at Fortess Hill area where my hotel is and called for a beer before returning to the hotel exhausted. I was going to go out to the ferry tonight to see the light show at 8pm but fell asleep! Tomorrow! On a toilet paper note it is my pleasure to announce that we are back to 2ply! Plugs are British 3 pin and all’s right with the world. I have tomorrow to go to the ferry and across to Kowloon as my flight is 01.10am. Money going fast and not bought anything here except food drink and the tour.



Tags:

Leave a Reply