BootsnAll Travel Network



Hong Kong 23rd of March Rain all day forecast!

Left Paihia at 2pm after meeting Lorna for a goodbye coffee and escaping an American woman who had ruined my last sit by the quiet sea. Got to Auckland in good time and checked into the YHA , 4 bed female dorm with divan beds. SO civilised! When coming into Auckland I realised as we came over the bridge into town that there was much more to the place than I had imagined. The skyline was great and the harbour full of boats. I have only really seen the busy city side of it. I got a taxi to the airport with my new let’s go for comfort and ease at this stage. My flight was 14.30. I was there in good time prepared in my head for a 3/4 hour flight. How stupid am I?! It was 11 hours and the time difference was 5 hours behind NZ! I never put my flight socks on or took my shoes off, which I usually do on long flights. Brain really not working well! It was just after 9pm HK time when we landed but it was 1am for me. I had not slept on the plane but watched two films – The Artist – wanted to see it for ages and one called something like Any time, any place ….. forgotten. Also watched 6 episodes of Porridge and some Monty Python. Cathay Pacific are very good at feeding you and giving you as many drinks (alcoholic and other) as you want. The upshot of this rather unprepared journey is that today I am a bit disorientated. I got to bed at around 4am my time and up at 10 HK time. Not sure how many hours sleep I had but was in time for breakfast. Now here is another new experience for me. The ‘lobby’ of the hotel is very shiny white and open plan with lime green bits and silver ornaments. The eating area for breakfast is across and behind the reception desk. The across bit has a dividing wall with serving ‘counters’ in each one. You help yourself to what I would describe as a continental breakfast on cardboard plates and with cardboard cups. Machines dispense the coffee but for tea drinkers (very me!) there is a hot tap to make your own with cartoned milk! It tasted ok to be fair but in my room only jasmine tea ( which is ok but not ok all the time) and no milk even if I used my own teabags. T’was a sorry sight as I turned off the light last night leaving the awful tea. There were croissants and rolls, apples(granny smith), butter and jam. Also bottled water. The majority of people were dressed for work and seemed like we were all in a commuter cafe somewhere. Two very kind American girls sorted me out as they had been here a couple of days and had sussed it all out. Hope I’m not boring anyone who may read this! Replenished I went back to my very clean well equipped room – such luxury after the last few weeks, and had a shower, examined a map and decided today would be an orientation day and planning day. I have had to book an extra night as on checking my flight home I realised I don’t fly until 1.10am on 26th. I have to check out at 12 noon so wouldn’t have chance to shower and change before i set off for the airport.
I have been out (in the rain) to suss out where the metro train is and walked around my hotel in a large block. All very clean. There are old trams, buses and other traffic on the roads. The ducking and diving between umbrellas is a fine art here! I found one and thought ah this is useful only to find as I entered a cafe, that it wouldn’t go down! I used it until I got to the hotel and then gave it to the doorman to dispose of! Mad English woman!
I am now back in my room having decided to go on a bus tour tomorrow and on the ferry to Kowloon where the lonely planet guide online recommends a walk along the harbour. There is so much to see that i have had to make a short list. Odd being cool in room with air conditioning – not had that in NZ.



Tags:

Leave a Reply