BootsnAll Travel Network



Day 9 part 2 wiffy mad now I’ve got it!

Ok so no problem with bank. Onwards and upwards! We were now into single track bridges country and a competition was set up by driver to see who got the nearest to the correct number – adding that there were thousands. As the driver had the bad news that he had to drive on to Queenstown as soon as he arrived in Wanaka, we never knew who won but a girl from Chile said she fell asleep after the 23rd she counted. We had gone over a ‘shared’ bridge the day before – trains and traffic – fun! Our next stop was at Ship Creek where we were all bitten by sandflies as we went Aw! Ooo! at the beauty of it. We looked for green gemstone which all people are allowed to do in NZ. All people can walk on all beaches and forests – even private if there is such a thing with beaches and forests. The national parks protect the flora, fauna and animals ( except possums it seems!). We entered the Haast region and our next stop was Thunder Falls Creek. The pale milky blue of the river, the tropical ferns and trees and the huge waterfall were a sight to behold! The walking to these places was not easy for me but very much worth the effort. We moved towards Aspiring Nat Park and Hobbit land. The hills were spectacular. My next mission, should I wish to accept it was a walk down to the blue pools. Now the walk was 15 min there and 15 back but we had to go over one of those wobbly bridges that only hold 15 at a time. Anyone who knows me in a wobbly bridge situation will know i showed great courage as we got 15 of us on the bridge and a stupid man came on the other way! I shouted go back but he wouldn’t and obviously had no clue about my panic! I am pleased to say I live to tell the tale! The blue pools gathered as rocks made the pale blue glacier water narrow as it went on down the valley. The pools were deep blue and sparkling and some daring young things jumped off a bridge there into the icy pools! Brrr! As we approached Lake Wanaka with a lot of ooing and arring the landscape became browner. Still mountainous but not as green.We passed Lake Harea and swung into beautiful Wanaka!
New Zealand uses 98% renewable energy and is a nuclear power free country – I will move here! Near Milford and Doubtful Sound is an underwater power station they are very proud of. “Totally sweet” as they would say round here!
Today has been a chilling/shopping/ emailing/ facebook catch up and blogging day. I have done a load of washing, dried it and even ironed my very creased trousers ready for creasing on departure day! I sat by the lake to eat a mandarin and remembered the lovely bbq and sunset cruise we had last night. We had joy we had fun we had mandarins in the sun!
My itinery is almost, and i use these words cautiously, sorted. Tomorrow i will book room for Te Anau where i also need to book a Doubtful Sound trip. Mega bucks but not as expenaive as flying over glaciers! I can’t believe how important being online is when travelling alone. Thank goodness for progress! I have a twin bedded room in a quiet hostel (Holly’s) all to myself. What more could i want on a birthday tomorrow?!



Tags:

Leave a Reply