BootsnAll Travel Network



Day 2- Hello Hanoi!

Ok this is my third attempt to get this blog going so i am hoping it is 3rd time lucky! We landed at 6.48 local time – 23.48 time in my head. We were herded from the airport into a bright pink coach( must have known i was coming!) and whisked off to our hotel in the centre of Hanoi. It took about an hour so by this time it was around 8.30 as it had taken at least an hour to clear immigration and pick up baggage. I had splashed out on a cup of tea (2$) but they had added sugar so i had to throw it away. Now learning vietnamese for ‘no sugar’! On arrival at the Melia hotel (5*) we were given a cup of tea ( praise the lord!) but not offered a second cup – oh woe was me! We then set off on a walk to the lake – hwad all over the place so don’t know name of beautiful lake. On the way we called to book tickets for the water puppet show tomorrow afternoon at 3.30. Watch this space for an account of this truly vietnamese experience. Then we stopped at the chaotic corner with scooters and cars whizzing round, to each get into a rickshaw to go on a 45 minute tour of the old quarter. Here the street names are all named after the trade taking place in the road, eg silk road, metal working road etc. I had to clise my eyes a couple of times and pray the traffix was kind to Chan my rickshaw driver who drove fearlessly through the crowded traffic. They drive on the right here but obviously the licals only use this as a guideline as they go all over the shop! Parking seems to take priority on pavements and people are employed to help them park and then look after their vehicle.
We returned to our wonderful hotel and were given our rooms. I am in room 1808 if you want to pop in! Lucky 8s i feel. On the 18th floor. I will try when i am not as tired to put some photos up on here. My head was in the ‘i am on an all nighter’ mode so although it was only 12 noon by this time i ordered a vodka and tonic! By the time i got to my room all i could do was try on the silk dressing gown and the towelling dressing gown ( available to buy at 627,000 and 898,000 Dong respectively – $31/$44.50 – a dollar being worth 70p) and then curl up on the lively bed and sleep for 3hours. Refreshed i set out like the intrepid explorer i am to find some food ( by now it is 7pm and i had not eaten since 5am on plane). Got lost but found a lovely little restaurant called Mondo on Ba Triau, had oven baked pork ribs in tomato sauce, water spinach and garlic and rice, a ‘another day in paradise ice cream and 2 local beers for 751,000Dong – about £26! Amazing. Now in bed ready for another exciting day tomorrow! Night folks!




Leave a Reply