BootsnAll Travel Network



Day 13 TaProhm Temple, Angkor Wat, Angkor Thom and Bayon Temple

Today has been like being on a film set for so many reasons – atmosphere, romance, excitement, surprise, wonder and awe! The temples were Buddhist and Hindu and at times changing from one to the other. TaProhm Temple was where the filmed parts of Tomb Raider with Angelina Jolie; tree roots had grown in and around the stone of the buildings and nature had taken over. Gobsmacking!
In Angkor Wat there was a moat all around it 1.3m X 1.5m and about 300 metres across. The place was huge with many cone shaped towers of different thicknesses and heights.There were beautiful carvings of patterns and people and along a very long wall was a carved frieze depicting scenes from battles and history. It must have gone along a wall for about 100 metres or more and being about 10 metres high. There were many steps to challenge me! We climbed up and up and still there were more steps until i decided i had to go down! It truly was a wonder of the world! I came out and walked to the west gate where we were all meeting. On the way i took a photo of the reflection of the temple in the waterlily pond – real poatcard stuff ! I have been having problems with my eyes in that they run and i squint and then can’t see. It seems to be related to the bright sunlight. They are hurting me now so i will come back later, tomorrow even and go to sleep now.
Back again! Now by the pool the next day( not sure if it’s thurs or fri!). From the temples we went for our last lunch as a group at a wonderful restaurant called Champey. The food presentation with orchids and pineapple tops was lovely and the food even better! We were then given an hour break back at the hotel before setting off for Angkor Thom – an old city with a bridge with carved figures on either side along tthe walls. On the right were the demons with menacing faces and the left the happy, more benevolent faces.
We then had another treat in store at our next temple – Bayon. Here we again climbed up spotting the many Buddha’s faces on the towers. Again here were wall carvings telling about the life of the Cambodians and their wildlife. It was dusk and cicadas were screeching and the sun going down. So very atmospheric. We reluctantly left to go back to the hotel after the guide took ‘trick’ photos of each of us with our noses touching a Buddha. I was hot and bothered but very happy. I had a shower and went down to thw pool bar for fish and chips which were delicious. Another very special day on my trip! Bye for now!



Tags:

Leave a Reply