BootsnAll Travel Network



Cusco at last !

img_0804_2.JPGimg_0810_2.JPG9 h 30 min p.m. 

Paula and I had an adventure this morning, but all worked out. Won´t go into detail, but we had trouble getting our plane ticket informaiton and then getting to the airport for the eleven thirty flight. Took the most interesting cab ride along old cobblestone and pot holed road (the back way to the airport to avoid morning commute traffic on the freeway) and finally arrived in plenty of time. Paula and I joked that so far we´ve been on our own in Lima, did our own little tour using the maps we had yesterday, etc. and now we got ourselves to the airport, who needs a travel company? When we finally arrived in the airport in Cusco, we immediately felt the heaviness of the change in altitude off the plane, but were both fine within a few minutes. Thankfully the tour company rep met us at baggage, and welcomed us to Cusco with a cup of cocoa tea at the hotel. We will meet the rest of our hiking group tomorrow, as we meet to discuss the details of the 4 day hike  beginning Sunday.

Cusco (bottom photo) is such a comfortably simple place. It is beautiful. Sunny here today and warm… and now I question having brought all warm long sleeve shirts. Though we´ll need to layer and have warmth while hiking higher in the mountains (can we really GO higher than this! Aye!) we needed short sleeves today. So, I think I´ll treat myself to a tourist t shirt tomorrow. 

And, in many buildings like our hotel, we see these “Safe in earthquake’s case” signs… glad to know we are in “safe” buildings! Who knows if they’re up to California standards, but at least they’re trying??

Paula and I both commented how peaceful Cusco seems compared to Lima, first and foremost since we didn´t have many people trying to sell us things as we walked down the street. Only had to fight the tourist traffic (and still yet the MANY cabs on the streets). When you stop in the shops there is still a lot of bargaining to do, but it just felt better being here today. The little children here are fun to watch with their families in the city center (Plaza de Armas) and there´s just a sense of peace. (ok, if you´re away from the main routes of the cabs.) I now know the significance of the name Plaza de Armas… there are military officers standing up at the front of the plaza with their machine guns looking like they´re ready for action any time! It´s such a contrast to our watchful guards, who just have their weapons concealed… so really no difference, just appearance I guess…

It´s funny to also notice that there are several pizzarias´and Americanish food here in the plaza… we ate at an italian place after wandering the local food venues… I was sort of disappointed we couldn´t find an authentic place so to speak. However, I ended up ordering some Peruvian chicken with peppers dinner that was fantastic! I´d drunk my first Pisco sour last night (the national drink if you don´t tell anyone else in Chille!) and surprisingly it tasted much like a margarita. Glad I stuck with bottled water tonight, as with the altitude change, it was probably best.

Oh, one more last thing… the people here are very kind. We were twisted around in our direction, and getting tired after dinner, and a man walking home from work walked us blocks back to the Plaza. I´ve been speaking to many people we run into in Spanish, which has been fun. Of course it´s all the same how are yous and what do you do, and where is this or that, but it´s nice to use the years of language training through high school and college.  Anyway, as with last night when we talked with various people traveling on the streets, everyone is friendly.

Well, more tomorrow… A.

Tomorrow we have another day to get used to the altitude. Paula and I plan to get a city tour pass and visit some of the local sites and museum. We also have to continue to drink a lot of water to combat the effects of the altitude (sore muscles sometimes, and other various effects).

Time to think of getting some sleep for a while

Amy 



Tags:

One Response to “Cusco at last !”

  1. Gina Says:

    I think you should be back now from your trek… I can´t wait to read about how it went and what you thought about it all. Write a blog post about it soon! I´m anxious. I hope my advice was helpful and that you didn´t bring too much warm clothing! It was cold when I was there, I promise!

    Gina.

  2. Posted from Ecuador Ecuador

Leave a Reply