BootsnAll Travel Network



Penang to Bangkok – by train

inside Daewoo sleeper car

Oct 27-28 Penang to Bangkok night train (2nd class air-con sleeper).  another good ride – one of the newer Daewoo sleeping cars again.  enjoyed the roomy cot at night and blood-red sky at sunrise.  saw for the first time the shanty lean-to town that sprawls for miles along the outskirts of Bangkok.  met a couple from the train in a Bangkok cafe – they from my home province – travelling again after almost 30 years, saying so much has changed.  Bangkok was better this 2nd time around for me.  instantly knew my way and so was easily able to broaden my experience over last trip.  amazed at just how much i ‘did not see’ last time.  it was all there – just did not see it.  or maybe it depends on where you have just come from.  this time, after 2 weeks in ‘old’ Georgetown, Penang – Bangkok seemed strikingly modern and up-to-date, as i spent more time in the flash downtown shopping area – a shopper’s and gourmet’s delight http://www.siamparagon.co.th/v3/index2.html .  could spend days just shopping and browsing.  my one day in Bangkok flew by.  did not buy anything but the food was superb.  very happy to have booked the Cozy Bangkok Palace http://www.cozybangkok.com/index.htm – just a short walk from the main Hualamphong Rail Station.  so – easy in and easy out – for onward train to Chang Mai.

 

nighttime setup on Daewoo sleeper car



Tags:

Leave a Reply