BootsnAll Travel Network



Georgetown, Pulau Penang

buddha at the Khoo Kongsi

last week was bad news for everyone.  worldwide financal crisis.  a wild ride still ahead.  hoping for the best.  enjoying Georgetown.  it is only a small part of the island of Penang, but it is the main draw.  afternoons are hot here.  just stand in the sun and feel the burn.  mornings and evenings are very comfortable.  took a bus up the mountain to Kek Lok Si, a beautiful temple with a great view.  much rain the first few days but dwindling now (rainy season ending).  still often a downpour once in the day.  first 3 nights in pre-booked Love Lane Inn (RM25 for single room).  i would not recommend it.  moved just down the street to the Old Penang Guesthouse (RM35 for a single room, well worth the extra RM10).  nice old building, recently opened, done up very well.  new, clean, friendly, helpful.  low key (not a party place).  days spent exploring, shopping, eating, chilling, reading, surfing the net, star satellite tv.  there is still so much of Malaysia to see.  the Perhentian Islands on the east coast, but almost monsoon season there, when they close down.  so i will give it a miss this time.  also, Taman Negara (national park of ancient rainforest), Cameroon Highlands, Borneo.  Georgetown is good for now.  the old part of the city is the most interesting, and very compact.  everything available, just a short walk away.  very friendly people and great food, culture, climate.  reasonably cheap.  though countries to the north may be cheaper?  most people speak English in the larger cities in Malaysia, so its easy for me.  lazy, hazy tropics.



Tags:

Leave a Reply