BootsnAll Travel Network



Kula Lumpur to Penang

love lane from the inn terrace 

after 5 nights in Kuala Lumpur, took the monorail back to the main train station to board the 8 pm night train (Ekspres Langkawi) to Pulau Penang (‘Betel Nut Island’ in Malay) (cost MR43).  air conditioned 2nd class sleeper (book the lower bunk for easy in and out http://www.seat61.com/).  beds all made up, train was good.  cleaner and newer than the one in Thailand last year.  clean toilets, clean sheets, good pillow, comfy mattress.  very fast train, blasting through the night, only a few stops.  slept a bit, on and off.  glad to be horizontal and on the lower bunk. (it beats flying).  4:45 am alight in Butterworth (only 10 minutes late, as we had departed a bit late from K.L.).  walked with Mathew, a fellow traveller from the train.  short walk to ferry, then short ride to the island (nice, open-sided ferry – not closed in).  walked in the pre-drawn darkness towards the hostels, along a main street, Lebuh Chulia.  stopped at an all-night cafe for breki of roti naan, mine with sugar, butter and a coffee.  yum.  sun-up, walked on to Love Lane.  grateful for good company –  in that (to me) ‘strange’ space – at that dark, early hour.  the universe was kind.



Tags:

Leave a Reply