BootsnAll Travel Network



Kakadu, Katherine, Litchfield

Kakadu in the wet 

exit Darwin, 4 days / 3 nights through the big parks.  it was a wonderful time – brand new big tour-mobile – great guide – a small – great group of people.  had the best tour ever.  memories to last a lifetime.  a lot of driving – the highlights are hours apart – and some places were inaccessible – too much water.  conditions change daily with the rainfall – the waters rise and fall by many meters in a short space of time.  learned a lot.  loved it all.

a ‘jumping croc’

first stop was the croc feeding river cruise.  so many crocs swimming out to the boat – they seem happy to perform for a mouthful of buffalo.  lots of photo ops !  other stops to hike and view aboriginal art, or waterfalls, or to swim beneath a waterfall – to high spots for panoramic views of Kakadu and the Arnhem escarpment in the distance.

hiked up to several aboriginal rock art sites

this was one of the last opportunities to view many sites before they are closed for the season – inaccessible in ‘the wet’.  so – very fortunate.  must return sometime in ‘the dry’ season – i am sure the contrast would be amazing.

a ‘permanent camp’

the ‘permanent camps’ were very well done.  lot of frogs and toads – the night chorus.  the landscape was – everywhere – a brilliant green.  waterfalls in full flow – many closed to swimming – the flow too strong. 

several hikes to waterfalls - view or swim - this one in Katherine Gorge

this part of Australia is so unique – worth seeing any season i am sure.  don’t miss it.

 hiked up for the view over Arnhem Land and the escarpment

magnificent views from the high points – across Kakadu to the Arnhem land escarpment.



Tags:

Leave a Reply