BootsnAll Travel Network



Bangkok to Chang Mai – by train

old style railcar - sidelined !

Oct 30-31 night sleeper Bangkok to Chang Mai.  this time, no Daewoo.  so an old style railcar and not up to scratch, as we were to find out.  instantly, you see that the railcars are older and the bunks are narrower, and once we passed the half-way point, it became apparent that something was not right.  were alternating between full speed ahead – crawling very slowly – and stopping in what seemed to be nowhere – for no reason. 

 dirty window - gorgeous scenery

no worries – kept going.  until morning time – arrival time – and no Chang Mai..  finally, stopped for good about an hour outside of Chang Mai, and hours behind schedule.  there was a problem with the brakes and after much ado and no solution, the train backed up onto a side track and we were transferred onto a much older-style train for the final leg.  arrived in Chang Mai four hours late and a little bedraggled.  the last part of the trip had great scenery – up into the hills – lots of dense rainforest and high train tressels over the jade green jungle valleys – beautiful.  very happy to arrive in Chang Mai.

hard core travel - for this final leg to Chang Mai



Tags:

Leave a Reply