BootsnAll Travel Network



Worldnomads—schmomads

The insurers have denied my claim for the stolen backpack.

It isn’t so much that which felt like a punch in the stomach (although it is that part which leaves me feel winded), as it’s the way in which it was worded. When the message notification popped up in my inbox, I expected them to ask for more receipts. But the message started promising:

<quote>
Dear Dr Schnapp

TRAVELCLAIM: 2500553

We refer to your claim for your personal belongings and advise that your claim has now been assessed.

SECTION 3: DAMAGE OR PERMANENT LOSS OF LUGGAGE/PERSONAL EFFECTS

13.1 WE WILL PAY
a)We will reimburse the repair cost, or loss, of any luggage/personal effects which are stolen or accidentally lost or damaged be we can reduce any amount we pay having regard to depreciation and wear and tear.
</quote>

Wow, I thought: that was fast!. Then I read on:

<quote>
GENERAL EXCLUSION
12. Loss, or theft of, or damage to:
c) Property that you leave unsupervised in a public place to which the public has access, or that happens because you do not take reasonable care to protect it.

Unsupervised means:
• Leaving your luggage with a person you have not previously met
• Leaving it in any position where it can be taken without your knowledge
• Leaving it such a distance from you that you are unable to prevent it being taken

Public Place means:
any place where the public has access to, including but not limited to, planes, taxis, buses, trains, shops, airports, railway stations, museums, galleries, hotel foyers and general access areas, beaches, restaurants and public toilets.

Based on the information provided on the 05/01/2006 you were waiting at the harbour terminal for the Pelni ship ‘Awu’ to sail to Maumere. A man spoke to you and when you turned around again, your backpack had disappeared. It was leaning against a wall a few metres away from you.

As the backpack was in a position where it was taken without your knowledge it was clearly unsupervised. As per the policy definition above the harbour terminal where the backpack was taken from is also considered a public place.

Subsequently, from the information provided, it is clear that your personal effects were left unattended and unsupervised in a public place. It is also clear that you had not taken reasonable care to protect them from loss.

Therefore we must advise that we are unable to offer settlement for your personal belongings as you have left your property unsupervised in a public place. Furthermore your claim has been denied.

</quote>

As I said in my thread on Bootsnall: they rather labour the small print. However, Worldnomads are not the cheapest insurers out there. I went with them because of word of mouth. If they are just as bad as all the others, it definitely pays to compare.

And when it comes to make a claim, read the small print and understand the clauses of the contract. Just avoid digging holes for yourselves—that’s all I’m saying.

Maybe now is the time that I should write about what actualy happened that night in Makassar, but I don’t feel like it. It is getting me depressed—I’m not joking. Better to dwell on happier memories for now.

Tags: ,



Comments are closed.