BootsnAll Travel Network



Why Won’t The Bed Bugs Bite?

Yesterday night we watched a repeat episode of Victorian Farm in which Ruth is scrubbing down the beds and walls with salt and turpentine to get rid of bed bugs (in a room that hadn’t been slept in for 50 years).

It seems that back in the day it was teeming with bed bugs everywhere, which begs the question where the critters are now. I don’t make it a habit to clean the rooms—certainly not with salt and turpentine—and I have never in my life seen a bed bug nor been bitten by one.

This strikes me as odd. While bed bugs may have disappeared from the modern home with the advent of central heating or whatnot, plenty of people still encounter them on the road. I have travelled the world, stayed in hundreds of sub-standard or downright seedy establishments, and I have never encountered any. (Unlike Steve to whose blog I’m currently addicted!)

Maybe I just don’t react to them? Or maybe the mozzie coils I use in the tropics get rid of them? Or maybe the guesthouses I choose top stay in are all meticulously cleaned, even the downright hovels (unlikely)?

Come on now: where are the bed bugs? Maybe I should make it a point to seek them out on my next trip.

Tags: , , ,



Comments are closed.