BootsnAll Travel Network



(why not try…) tripe

The stomach lining of ruminants, in most cases the rumen and reticulum (first and second stomach) of bovine animals, is a favoured ingredient in many of the world’s regional cuisines.

Once par-boiled, tripe can be simmered with milk and onions, curried, deep-fried, baked… the list is endless.

Here’s what I made for dinner yesterday, based on “Tripe à la Basquaise”:

ca. 1 kg par-boiled tripe, 1-2 bay leaves, 4-5 cloves garlic (2 whole, rest crushed), 2 ordinary onions, pepper, mild chilli flakes (or dash tabasco), 50-75 g smoked bacon or Pancetta, 1/2 cup wine or dry cider, 1 stalk celery, 1 carrot or (better) parsnip, 1 tin tomatoes (drained), cornflour (to thicken), 1 red onion, 2 bell peppers, chopped parsley, juice & zest 1/2 lemon.

Simmer the tripe with the bay leaf, 1 onion (quartered), two cloves whole garlic, black pepper and stock to cover (beef, chicken, vegetable – low salt!) for 1.5h.
Remove and chop tripe, reduce stock by 1/2-1/3 for the sauce and reserve.
Sweat the onion (mild olive oil is best), increase heat when just turning translucent and fry the bacon and 2-3 cloves crushed garlic (err on the generous side without being overpowering) until the garlic smells aromatic. Add chopped celery and carrot (or parsnip) and the wine, boil off the alcohol (and reduce to desired consistency), add chilli flakes (or a dash of tabasco), tomatoes, tripe and stock. Simmer 1.5h or until tripe is of a gelatinous-soft texture. Thicken with cornflour, stir in the lemon juice and adjust seasoning.

Fry the red onion and pepper until slightly coloured (red onion will caramelise slightly).

Serve tripe on a bed of rice, scatter over the pepper and onion mixture and the mixed chopped parsley and lemon zest.

Rather good if you don’t focus too much on the fact that you are lining your stomach with another… – John loves it!

Tags: ,



One Response to “(why not try…) tripe”

  1. Denni Says:

    I wonder what that has to do with methods of cooking the stomachs of ruminants…