BootsnAll Travel Network



The Fifth Quarter: Oildown

Oildown

When it comes to nose-to-rail eating eating, I’ve done badly with nose and heels, but I have used my share of heads and trotters.

Now it’s the turn of the tails.

Oildown is a dish I have heard much about, but never tried. Luckily, there are many recipes online. The dish seems to be simplicity itself, once you’ve sourced the ingredients!

Dim memories led me to an alleyway off Lewisham market where small shops huddle against the dark walls. There you can find breadfruit, among other things. The butchers in the area tend to be Halal and I had to bite my tongue when asking, but you can find pigtails in Chinese supermarkets, if you are lucky.

First brine your tails in a saturated solution of salt and sugar, dissolved in boiling water (3:1 if memory serves. I’d have to Google it since I’ve forgotten). Spices can be added at this stage.

After 3-5 days in the brine, take out the tails and remove excess salt by bringing them to the boil three times. This may sound elaborate, but a brined pigtail tastes very different from a fresh one.

While the tails are cooling, chop 1-2 onions, 1 fat clove garlic and a sweet pepper. Sauté with a few sprigs of thyme.

By now your breadfruit will have gone a little mushy. Cut it into wedges and remove the centers before chopping it. I found that semi-ripe breadfruit doesn’t ‘absorb’ the liquid and consequently should have used less than stated in the recipe (3 cups). Start with a tin of coconut milk and add some water if necessary to just cover. Stir in a handful of chives and immerse a whole Scotch Bonnet pepper which will be fished out at the end of cooking, like a teabag. I tend to cut a slit into it to increase heat. Encona sauce (or Trini hot sauce bought in Port of Spain!) can be used as a substitute.

Bring to the boil, season and simmer slowly, stirring occasionally, until the liquid is reduced or (b)oiled down!

Tags: , , ,



Comments are closed.