BootsnAll Travel Network



Snorkelling in the Togeans

Memories of happier times…

I’ve managed to shrink a few pictures down to manageable size, for blogging purposes only. They are a little grainy, but clear enough. They were taken just after Christmas in the Togean islands—as close to Paradise as I have yet been; if you disregard the areas where blast fishing has reduced the coral to rubble.

Black Marlin3

The place is Black Marlin Divers on Kadidiri. The time is early morning and we are getting ready for a diving-and-snorkelling trip.

starfish
Even on the beach in front of the resort, heads of coral poking through the sand are populated by starfish and hundreds of flitting fish taking advantage of the nutrient-rich water.
fish3

But to get to more pristine sites, we take a 20 minute boat ride between the islands and enter the water above a coral garden…

coral garden3coral garden1
…just above a sheer drop-off. In the clear water, I can see the divers 20m below me and silhouettes of large fish in the distance. A lucky buddy-pair saw a turtle slowly flapping past.
coral garden2

One day, I’ll get back to this writing business and I will tell you the whole adventure, with better photos.

Togean sunset

Tags: ,



Comments are closed.