BootsnAll Travel Network



Plans for the summer

It’s official! I will spend this entire summer in a lighthouse at Ardnamurchan point on the western-most spot on the British mainland – whale-watching!

With a heavy heart, I have just phoned P&O Ferries to cancel the mini-cruise we had booked on July 13th. Between then and September is the peak-time for whale watching on their Portsmouth-Bilbao route across the Bay of Biscay. John made the first call and was told, rather blundly, that the booking was non-refundable, but that we could change the date. That was no good to us, not this year at least. Sightings are much rarer outside the summer months and all that time is now accounted for. I was angry. We are (still) unemployed and money is scarce. So I phoned back ready to spit bile at them but the rather nice German guy at the other end of the line was most obliging and refunded the money minus a reasonable 15% booking fee.

I bet Simon Calder, editor-in-chief of the Independent travel section, will e-mail me tomorrow re. the query I sent him a few weeks ago saying that he wants to run a feature on it!

It feels like one chapter of my life has ended and another is about to start. Less of all that flitting around. Back to conducting research in the field. Light at the end of a long tunnel…

Tags: ,



Comments are closed.