BootsnAll Travel Network



On campus (3) — of lechers and scorpions

In the morning I felt better. It was like awakening from a bad dream. I hugged John and we lost each other in a kiss. Sex was out of the question. Jungle sounds filtered through the windows and from the kitchen came more domestic clattering noises — we would be overheard. We held each other tight for a while, hearts pounding.

For breakfast there was bacon, sausage, eggs, paripoo and bread and for the first time in days I had an appetite. The food practically made me swoon. Rob still hadn’t returned, so we set off for the department on our own. While John resumed his self-imposed teaching duties, I went to the library. The librarian’s assistant had the indicated issues of Loris ready and showed me to the copy room. I went outside for a smoke while the articles were copied for me, checked for omissions and double-takes and in less than 20 minutes I was done. It was a shame that I could not get access to the reading rooms but there was nothing to it. I resolved to look at my bounty over a cup of tea back at the department.

I walked back across the campus contently, enjoying a cool breeze and admiring the immaculately kept lawns and trees, some of which were clearly appropriated from the Peradeniya Botanic Gardens across the road. Ahead of the central roundabout on my left grew a giant Java Willow. Its branches swept majestically down, mirroring the extensive root network which rose up from the soil, the two meeting at ground-level and forming a mesh which surrounded the central trunk in a circle nearly 20m across.
java.jpg
On the path along the pond there was a row of Coco de Mer, the mysterious palm of the Seychelles which had featured in the travel fantasies of my teens. One day, I had thought, I would visit these far-away islands to see for myself the largest fruit in the plant kingdom. Now I didn’t have to. I am sorry to say that the trees were a lot less spectacular than those of my fantasies. There, they had been the size of rainforest giants. In reality I was surprised to find that a rather shaggy-looking palm could bear over a dozen fruits which would grow to a weight of up to 20kg each over eight years.

As I crossed the railway bridge just in front of the Department of Engineering, I heard a hiss. There in the bushes below stood a man, leering at me, his hands busy with his groin. Ice-cold dread washed over me, quickly replaced by fury. My fists balled, my eyes narrowed, I stared fixedly ahead and walked on with purposeful strides. To look back would render me a victim, prey to his obscene lust. I realised that I had to be prepared to defend myself when walking alone, even in broad daylight. Even in the middle of the campus. I had never hit anybody in anger, at least not while sober or sane, but now I felt that I had to be ready for anything.

I remained focussed, my awareness heightened. This incident had served as a timely reminder not to get caught up in reveries when walking about. This was just as well because when I turned off towards the department, I nearly stepped on a scorpion which scuttled across the road. It was a big black brute, nearly 20cm long, the pincers alone measured a good inch. A menacing sting dangled from its curled tail. Black scorpions are not lethal, but Simon told me that he had spent 3 days in bed after being stung a few years ago. The pain was not something I want to experience.

Back at the department, we were rejoined by Rob. I apologized for going crazy.
He shrugged: “You should have phoned”, he said: “We were worried! I suppose as you get older you worry more.” He shook his head: “But I guess you are still young.”
Well there is one upside to this then, once I am older there will be no more PMT so it won’t get any worse.
“You have lost a lot of weight,” he added. I shrugged. As far as dieting goes, I would not recommend this method.
He went on to say that I should have asked him to get me in the car. That had never even occured to me. Arugam Bay was a good day’s drive away and I wasn’t even sure that Rob’s Hyundai would stand up to the road conditions in that area. In addition, Rob was far too busy to take time off for rescue missions. Typical men, I thought.

Tags: ,



Comments are closed.