BootsnAll Travel Network



My new Sharp Zaurus SL-C3200

My new Sharp Zaurus SL-C3200 has arrived.

At under 300g its swivel-screen clamshell hides a fully functional keyboard and tiny colour display, its sides are fringed with orifices: a USB port, SD card slot and a Cf slot. In fact, sitting on my palm is the tiniest fully functional micro-computer I have ever seen. It has a 416 Mhz processor, 128MB flash RAM and a 6 GB hard drive and it runs Linux kernel 2.4.20—of course fully configurable.

For me as a new owner, it’s a little bit daunting, but as I start it up, the screen fills with the usual PDA icons. Half of which I want to get rid of (not the applications, just the icons).

Never fear, the Zaurus arrived with the fattest manual I have ever seen and not fewer than 3 CDs—with audio presentations, web-files and PDFs—all in Japanese!

Stunningly, this amazing device is not officially supported by Sharp outside Japan, but there is a large user community and I have received a short German instruction booklet, which basically tells me how to tinker and what not to do. For the next few days I will trawl the internet for useful applications and the latest Linux fixes, trying to determine what is out of date and what isn’t.

Rewrite? What rewrite??

Tags: ,



Comments are closed.