BootsnAll Travel Network



Missing Hedgehog

There’s no sign of Sonic. Sure, the catfood has disappeared, but the neighbourhood cat looked a bit smug in the morning and there’s no telling who the lucky recipient was. You can smell the stuff from two blocks away; there’d be no shortage of takers.

I started with putting the food out at about 20:00, when it is suitably dark, near the leaf mounts behind the shed where Sonic hadn’t taken refuge and am now moving it slowly across the lawn, a little closer every day, until we can see it from the sliding doors. Or could see it, if it wasn’t pitch dark. The only way to be sure who is actually eating the food would be to lurk all night long observing the bowl, or else install a night camera triggered by an infrared beam as seen on ‘Wildlife on One’.

I should never have let that hedgehog go in the first place.

But let’s be brutally honest here: this thing is getting in the way of my travels. I shouldn’t have worried whether John would take care of it—he went all dewy-eyed and insists I’ll buy only the finest catfood (It’s a hedgehog for cripes sake!) I can see our planned two week holiday in Bali go ‘puff’ if he claps eyes on Sonic again. But I do feel guilty about letting him (her?) go; I’m even considering taking down the little ramp I built so I could trap Sonic again. But I doubt that even hedgehogs are that stupid.

Tags: ,



Comments are closed.