BootsnAll Travel Network



Land of the Maple Leaf

As yet without pictures. That would be because I forgot my card reader.

One thing to say about Canadians: they are easy to talk to. This is a great way to get to know about the country, with the least possible delay.

I was a little bleary-eyed after dinner yesterday, because my body clock insisted that it was about 6 am, and the owner of the Bumper’s Beef House had just bought me a drink (making it about the third or fourth ‘on the house’ I’ve ever had, but the last in a long line of pints on that particular night).

So I went out for a smoke.

Three people were already sitting on the bench, and I quickly found out that they were staff. We got talking what it is like to work in the busiest restaurant in Banff (well—busy. Hey, my memory is a little hazy).

Back upstairs, John was still talking to his colleagues. He hadn’t even noticed me chatting to the landlord, but so much the better. He has to focus on the conference—and he usually keeps an eye on my drinking when we’re out late.

I refilled my glass and went out for another smoke.

And just outside the restaurant stood the biggest lorry I’ve ever seen.

It was in fact just a normal-sized lorry, but that’s normal-sized for Canada. This one delivered ingredients for Pizza Hut, and it was so huge that it had a middle entrance.

‘Wanna have a look?”

“Sure.” I hastily stamped out my cigarette.

The two delivery guys were pleased to get a break from work, however brief, so they gave me the guided tour. Their lorry serves Pizza Huts all over Alberta. This seems to take about four days, despite the scarcity of towns with Pizza Huts. Alberta is quite a bit bigger than England (in fact, it’s nearly 32 times the size of Wales).

The front half of the lorry, where the doughballs are stacked, would comfortably sleep twelve.

Tags: , , ,



Comments are closed.