BootsnAll Travel Network



Land of Excuses

I didn’t miss much when we went shopping during England’s opener against Paraguay.

Before that match even went into injury time—when I thought Paraguay might just equalise, and I have a sneaking suspicion that the commentators did too—the excuses were already forthcoming.

England is the land of excuses. This is the country where trains get delayed ‘because of the wrong kind of snow’. The rainiest country in Europe that has drought orders. The place where—when somebody’s staggering incompetence causes havoc or outright disaster—’more training’ is recommended. Soldiers in Iraq are now offered ‘ethical training’ so that in future they won’t shoot babies and grandpas in wheelchairs through the head. If the American marines get in on the act, it’s the influence of the English rubbing off (note, it’s an English thing, the Scots aren’t like that).

So what was the excuse on offer in the dying minutes of the game?

“Of course, the first match of the tournament is always the most difficult!”

Eh??

Certainly against opponents such as mighty Paraguay. If they hadn’t scored an own goal, who knows what might have happened?

BTW, I’m addicted to the Boots footie blog.

Tags: ,



Comments are closed.