BootsnAll Travel Network



John Peel dead

While I am sitting at the computer, radio one usually plays in the background. I am still dumbfounded by the news I heard. The legendary radio DJ and Godlike Genius John Peel is dead. Along with millions of listeners all over the UK, I feel as I have lost a personal friend.

John Peel’s dry, comforting voice has been with me through many lonely nights working on my thesis or driving down deserted motorways back to Scotland. I his own, irreverent way, he shaped the musical tastes of generations. He introduced some of the most revolutionary trends (reggae, punk, hip-hop…) into the mainstream, along with acts such as the Sex Pistols, David Bowie and The Clash. He discovered countless others, notably The Undertones whose ‘Teenage Kicks’ was his all-time favourite. There was no stopping him. In fact, I just heard this quote on the radio (not very accurately transcribed): “If I could clone myself solely for this purpose, I would do so, simply so that three or four others of myself could sit in the office, listening to demo tapes”

John Peel will be fondly remembered for his ability to unite the generations (a teenage listener commented years back that both she and her granny listen to him) and above all, his easy-going humility. Far from presenting a polished, corporate image, John Peel’s shows were peppered with the odd blunder. A famous catch-phrase was: “I like that track better at the wrong speed”. The web abounds with Peel anecdotes, a typical one (with reference to travel) can be found here.

When listening to his show you always felt that you were listening to an old friend while being aware, somewhere at the back of your mind, that the man was a legend.

Tags: ,



One Response to “John Peel dead”

  1. Biff Donut Says:

    Plus he touched many of us so far away and not even British. He will be missed.

  2. Posted from Canada Canada