BootsnAll Travel Network



Greenland: nuts and bolts

All set. I’m awaiting the final confirmation from UMIAQ so that I can try to book accommodation in Ilussiat, but if the hostel is full, I can rely on my tent—so long as the ground isn’t frozen solid!

I have also sent an email enquiry about diving. I mean: why not? It is probably too expensive (and then I will be relieved!) but if I didn’t ask I would regret it!

The biggest song-and-dance was booking insurance from insureandgo.com. They are by far the cheapest and most suitable local insurance company, and the only one to offer annual multitrip cover for two adults under 64 (travelling together or independently) for trip lengths of up to ninety days! Of course, if I ever have to make a claim, they may turn out to be shit. Their website certainly is. I filled out the online form about five times and never progressed past ‘waiting on form completion’, but the phone sales staff are very helpful. I gave the guy my card details, then emailed him the names etc—and he phoned me back. One day, I’m sure, we will achieve the seamless integration of online business and communication.

The budget as it stands today (I have no idea why there’s such a large space and an orphaned tag below):





SD card & reader







TravelSourceCost (£)
Flights & ferryUMIAQ621
BA (ebookers)103
GearDescriptionCost (£)
Ebay15
TentColeman E272
RucksackGlendale 50L45
BootsSan Marco Goretex20
JacketPeter storm/Millets24
Mat (4 season)Eurohike/Millets13
InsuranceSourceCost (£)
Annual coupleinsureandgo.com99

—That’s 1012 quid, or only twelve quid above budget! However, since the equipment should really be costed separately and the insurance premium covers John as well, I should still have enough for an occasional dorm bed and a bowl of lentils a day ;). It’s not, however, enough for diving and tobacco!

Tags: ,



Comments are closed.