BootsnAll Travel Network



Geenland: planning cont.

This was where I was at last Friday (quote from my contact at Arctic Umiaq Line):

‘hi denni how about this price dkk 6341 flight copenhaven-kangerlussuaq, boat Kangerlussuaq-Ilulissat on seat, return with flight Ilulissat-kangerlussuaq-copenhagen. best regards Inger’

Since then, I have sent three reminders in all that I need the bank details in order to transfer funds. I hope that’s not too pushy. I’m waiting on tenterhooks to get this booked so that I can still get a cheap SAS flight out of Heathrow and have enough time to make all the other arrangements.

With the rush on hostel beds, I have also ordered a tent which is on its way here. No sooner had I received confirmation of my order that an email from Kangerlussuaq Tourism Office arrived, offering me a dorm bed in another hostel! It would be just typical if I didn’t need a tent after all, but it is wise to bring one along in any case.

Lastly, I’m considering bringing my drysuit. Last year, a dive centre started operating in Ilulissat . There I could dive in the mouth of a glacier or drift over the bleached bones of leviathans in the ‘whale cemetery’. Hardier souls might consider ice diving. It’s not really PADI territory and bring-your-own drysuit is a must. Apart from the extra weight and considerable bulk—not to mention extra expense—I wonder if the thing still fits me after ten years!

Anyway, I can’t do much until I have reserved my tickets, so I’m awaiting Inger’s reply with bated breath…

UPDATE: The transfer has been made! My bank does not have facilities for making international transfers online, so I went through two soul-destroying loops on the automated phone system (the second return to where-I-started nearly caused me to rip the phone out of its socket and fling it at the wall with all my power), then called the online helpdesk with a completely off-topic request and got the sweetest lady to help me with considerable patience and a soothing voice.

The money should be there within two working days and I’m go!

Tags: ,



Comments are closed.