BootsnAll Travel Network



Excuses to Travel: dolphin sightings

Nobody has been back in touch about the manatees (which I find a little rude). The expedition club has been in touch—fingers crossed that some members will be interested! 😀

A large population of Irrawaddy dolphins has been discovered around the Sundarbans. The only relative refuge for this species which I was previously aware of (aside from a very sparse distribution in rivers in Cambodia, Indonesia and the Phillippines and along coastal areas in SE Asia) was in the Chilka lake in Orissa. The population in the Songkhla lake in Thailand has dwindled significantly.

With Platanista gangetica apparently thriving right around Dhaka (I’ve previously suspected that they are scavengers) a visit to Bangladesh may well be on the cards next winter.

Tags: , , , , ,



4 Responses to “Excuses to Travel: dolphin sightings”

  1. victor chowdhury Says:

    hey denni,
    you seem to be doing a pretty good job out here in India,what is the current status of your operation platanista?…….i just wanted to ask you few more things i.e. during your 1985-1986 trips to India you met with a guy named “SALIL CHOWDHURY”…..do you still remember him??? if yes please reply>>>>your reply to this context would be much anticipated….

    VICTOR

  2. victor chowdhury Says:

    you can contact me at victorchowdhury@rediffmail.com or call me at 9433501879

  3. victor chowdhury Says:

    i even tried to locate BORIS ADLOFF but he is simply untraceable……hope to receive your response soon……

  4. Denni Says:

    Oops, sorry—I haven’t looked at the blog in a while.

    Sadly I have lost all my India notes when we moved house (and again when we cleared out my in-laws’ attic), including my list of contacts.

    The name doesn’t ring a bell, but if I find anything I’ll let you know.