BootsnAll Travel Network



Dolphin Beach

I don’t know how long I will stay at Camp Sh*t. It could be some time.

After a hard days’ dolphin watching, I had dinner in the snackbar again; this could become a habit. Then again, you have to take the smooth with the rough (sleeping) and I tried to save some dosh by settling for the ‘Prato de Dia’. It was good, but not great.

Today the dolphins laid on a show for me. I sat on the beach at the tip of the Troía peninsula, eating my picnic and staring out over the estuary. The sea was almost completely calm. I knew that in these conditions, I would be ten times more likely to have a sightings as with yesterday’s choppy waters, so as the hours crept by I began to worry whether the single sighting I had from the ferry was an illusion and whether I had also imagined my first brief glimpse of dolphins swimming past here yesterday. In short, was I going out of my mind (again)?

Then there they were, heading from the eastern outskirts of the city across the estuary. The local anglers gave me a look reserved for the severely demented as I leapt up, waved and pointed and cried out:”DOLPHINS!”

There were at least five animals and they came right up into the bay next to us. One animal leapt clear out of the water right in front of me and did I get a shot?—NO. But it didn’t matter as I watched joyfully while two dolphins splashed around each other metres from where I stood. After five minutes they left and ten minutes later they were visible only as tiny dots on the horizon, but then they turned around and two of them displayed a spectacular twin jump! I kept watching them for over an hour until the shadows grew long and it was time to head back. Bliss.

So, as I said, I may become a resident at Camp Sh*t…

Tags: , ,



Comments are closed.