BootsnAll Travel Network



Curry Goat

Curry Goat

Well, the weather has turned to shit, and so I’m trying to invoke memories of hotter climes through cooking.

I actually came across this dish when living in New Cross, SE London, where there is a strong Caribbean community. Still—aside from being one of the best curry dishes there are—this invokes memories of bright colours and tropical sunshine.

I can’t believe that I never blogged this before.

Curry Goat with Rice and Peas and Fried Plantain

Goat meat is required, but it can be picked up wherever there’s a Caribbean community. The halal butchers usually have it, and the remaining ingredients can be picked up in ethnic shops and markets nearby.

This is about the only dish which I cook with pre-made curry powder (Sharwood’s Madras).

Curry goat

1kg goat meat (bone in), chopped; juice 1 lime; 3 cloves garlic, crushed; 1 tablespoon chopped coriander (stalks are OK, keep the leaves for garnish, if desired); 2 spring onions, finely chopped; ½-1 Scotch Bonnet Chilli, finely chopped (take care—hot!); ½ onion, finely chopped; 2 tomatoes, scalded and peeled, then chopped; 1 tablespoon dried thyme; pinch allspice; 1 tablespoon curry powder, plus one extra; 1 cube chicken stock; few twists of black pepper

Wash the goat meat (it will be full of bone splinters), pat dry and rub with lime juice. The marinating step is optional. You don’t need to marinate, or you could just marinate for 1 hr. I did it overnight. If you marinate, combine all the ingredients (except for the 1 extra spoon of curry powder), and rest, then brush off and reserve the spice mixture.

Brown the meat and transfer to a heavy pot. Fry the chopped veg and spices with the extra spoon of curry powder (it will darken), deglaze the pan and just cover the meat with the liquid and stock (dissolve cube in 1 cup hot water, then make up the volume as necessary). The idea is that the gravy will thicken during cooking. Simmer very gently 2-3 hours until meat starts to fall off the bone.

Rice & Peas

(I always cook rice by volume, absorption method. Basmati rice from the supermarket doesn’t need washing).

1 cup rice; 1 onion, finely chopped; 400g gunko peas; 1 cup chicken stock; just under 1 cup coconut milk; small piece cinnamon; 2 bay leaves; 1 scotch bonnet chilli (whole); pinch allspice; salt

Fry the onion until soft, add remaining ingredients and simmer to absorb (ca. 15 minutes). Fish out the whole chilli and other spices and serve. The chilli should impart a gentle warmth on the dish. If you don’t have a scotch bonnet (habanero) chilli, use a small dash of original Encona sauce.

Serve with fried plantain and extra lime juice (or a relish made with tomato, cucumber, spring onion, chopped coriander and lime juice—I use that for all my curries).

Tags: , , , , ,



Comments are closed.