BootsnAll Travel Network



Bright Lights of London

One often-cited advantage of living in London is the proximity of theatres and museums and the many cultural events that take place “on our doorstep”, but for all the yeas that we have lived in the capital this has never mattered either to us or to our mates. We have always been either too poor or too busy to bother with anything London had to offer. At the time even the Natural History Museum charged a £7 entrance fee and the British Library, the only attraction that would draw me to town when I was still a scientist, only opened its doors shortly before I left.

It is therefore ironic that the moment we move to a village in the South of England, the capital beckons and teases with events that are just out of reach. Brian Aldiss will be at the open meeting of the BSFA (click on events) in a real ale pub in Belgrave tonight.

I remember being spell-bound by Brian Aldiss in my distant youth and feeling vaguely privileged because he was (and probably still is) a columnist on the ‘Oxford Star’ free-sheet when we were living there and was therefore practically a neighbour. I saw him for the first time in the flesh during Worldcon and he was the most engaging panelist there by a mile, so I would love to hear more from him. I really should re-read some of his books, although he is busy publishing new novels and collections at about the rate the average reader can keep up with. At 80.

Alas, a pub-meeting in Belgrave is an extravaganza I can’t justify. The bus connection to Basingstoke is difficult and the only way on to London is by train, at an overall expense of just over £ 20. I would not even know whether I can get in: Brian Aldiss is a famous author and the pub’s function room can only take so many. When I was living in the Ghetto, that wouldn’t be a big deal. I would just get a travel card and check the place out; hell, I could have jumped on the bus: the 36 runs from the front of Goldsmiths college all the way to Victoria. Back then I never used it except for going back to work. Now I feel keenly what I am missing out on. I am surprised at how keenly. The inner child is throwing a tantrum: this should be Lewisham, the damn bus stop is just down the road, where has the high street gone? Where are all the people and the shops? They should be just around the corner! Village life hasn’t sunk in yet, me thinks.

Tags: ,



Comments are closed.