BootsnAll Travel Network



Borth 2008: Test Kitchen—Mini Palmiers

In the final few days before the big occasion, I’m testing out recipes that are new to me or that I haven’t made for a while. Today I’m making oriental foods, but because of the time it takes to prepare them I’m usually lagging at least a day behind with updates.

So here’s one I made earlier:

Mini Palmiers

Mini palmiers are a canapé-party standby, but a modicum of practice is nessecary—as you can see from the somewhat amateurish result.

The classic filling for savoury palmiers is red and green pesto, but I’m avoiding nut products so I’ve tried alternatives.

Roast vegetable pasta sauce was not a success because the red pepper clashed with the parmesan and puff pastry. The whole thing tasted somewhat metallic. Puréed roast vegetables would work, but cut back the pepper and add sunblush tomatoes and basil.

Mushroom duxelle with cheese was tasty, but may need to be cut finer. Sprinkling the things with parmesan means that they brown a bit much and the spiral pattern is somewhat obscured.

These things are tasty enough either (slightly) warm or cold and I will make them. The maximum time for them to stay crispy is 4 hours. Don’t you hate the stale sausage rolls that are usually dished up at buffets? This is why (but in fairness, we’ll have an adjacent kitchen).

Tags: , , , , ,



Comments are closed.