BootsnAll Travel Network



Bangkok Birthday Blues

Not really, but the day got off to a bad start after I could not sleep until 3:30 am (again). So the first thing I did, before even jumping on a bus to the Indonesian embassy, was to relocate to a quiet guesthouse on the Soi Ram Buttri—on the fourth floor. Well, it’s about time I got fit!

Just had a green curry in my favourite local ‘restaurant’, here’s the view:

streetfood.jpg

At the back of a trolley two women cook up the most amazing array of dishes ranging from omelette to curries and fried noodles. The green curry, so fiery hot that I can still feel it on my tongue—I swear it’s caused blisters—set me back 35 Bhat, with sticky rice. It was my well-earned reward for catching the bus to the Indonesian Embassy, first going in the wong direction, of course. And yep, they won’t tell me until Monday whether they’ll refuse my visum. The guy who took the passport was just a desk clerk so my friendly smile made no difference.

At first I thought they said Tuesday in which case I would have gone to Chiang Mai. But it is a 10-hour bus ride away which seems somewhat excessive just for the weekend. So I’m staying put and just relax, taking in a few sights when the sun comes out again. Then, on Monday, I hope I can take a nightbus the hell out of here.

One week in Bangkok—after this I think I’ll avoid big cities for a while

Tags: ,



Comments are closed.