BootsnAll Travel Network



Banff PS

I promised you a link to some proper photos a few entries back.

So here—with kind permission—are a few pictures, just in case you thought there was no wildlife in Banff! (all photos are by proberts84, as he likes to be known 🙂 )

Note that these are not in the public domain.

Marmots
A group of marmots set up home right in front of our hotel room windows. Although they looked close enough to touch, they were about the size of pinheads in my viewfinder, even with ‘maximum’ zoom (3x).

Golden Mantled Ground Squirrel
This is one of my favourites. To see why, look closely at the foreground. Click on the image for the large size.


Another golden-mantled ground squirrel at Sanson Peak. They never sit still for more than a second and it takes patience and skill to capture them like this. Go to proberts84 for more of the same!

Finally, deer were everywhere in the forests around Banff; usually directly by the roadside. And yet, I didn’t manage to get a single picture of one. proberts84 did, though!

Wapiti

These things are locally known as ‘elk’, which is rather confusing because ‘elk’ is the Scandinavian term for moose, and I was expecting them to be rather bigger! They are still an impressive sight once their antlers have grown (and during that time, you shouldn’t cross them, either!)

Another name for them is Wapiti deer. As such, they are also known in German (I knew I’d heard the term somewhere—it dates back all those years to my time as an assistant volunteer zookeeper.)

Tags: , , , , , ,



Comments are closed.