BootsnAll Travel Network



Back with a Bang

I finished day-dreaming about Japan and woke up to harsh reality.

It’s icy cold. I refuse to put on the heating until October 1st. But if my upbringing in these matters is strict, that’s nothing compared to the zealots in government who tell us to lower the thermostats still further to save the planet.

I will, if they double the tax on 4WD cars or—better still—ban the things. In fact, let’s ban all company cars, included the chauffeured jags that the politicians whiz around in. Then we can start talking. But I will be on one of the last open flights out of this country—with a one-way ticket.

Meanwhile, it’s getting dark and I realize that I have wasted the entire afternoon (on one of the few sunny days we’ve had) sitting at the computer waiting for the carpet man to turn up, instead of going to Reading.

The UK must be the only developed country in the world where builders and repairmen take a sick pride in their unreliability. It is far from the first time that this has happened; in fact it would be highly unusual if it hadn’t. The fact that I have wasted an entire day thanks to a lunchtime appointment which hasn’t been honoured must give these people some sort of perverse kick. And naturally, there will be no apology (not that an apology from that sort is worth anything, since they’re not bound by a code of honour) and I will be expected to do the same thing again and again. If I’m lucky, they’ll eventually turn up and rip out half the floor boards before vanishing into thin air. Not without causing major disruption in the process, of course. For—when they deign to turn up—these people demand your full and undivided attention whenever they whistle/knock/shout out “Oy!” and no matter what it is you’re currently trying to concentrate on.

The Outdoor Pond

The flood happened over three months ago, and nothing has been done since. The ground floor is still basically uninhabitable, and sodden carpets and flood-damaged rubbish are piled high out at the front and back.

Can you imagine this happening in Japan?

Wait a minute: why do we have to put up with this shit? Is this our house?

I reckon we’ll move. But it may cost us if we end up paying double-rent when we sign the new lease before our notice has run out (this usually happens).

And to think that, following the flood, our neighbours received compensation for the inconvenience

Tags: , , ,



Comments are closed.