BootsnAll Travel Network



Babi Kecap

I promised some Balinese recipes, but haven’t gotten around to blogging them yet.

Babi kecap is popular and easy to make, once you have ground your pastes! It does, however, use almost ½ bottle of kecap manis (sweet soy sauce) which you’ll have to bring with you from Indonesia. I use less (I don’t like my food too sweet) and made the spice mixture while preparing the basic paste, which made cooking this dish very quick and easy.

Before I go on, if you want to explore Balinese food for yourself, this site has a great collection of recipes, including spice mixtures, dips and sauces.

Babi Kecap

500g pork,
2 long red chillies (mild),
5 hot chillies,
5 shallots,
3 cloves garlic,
ca. 2cm ginger,
ca. 2cm fresh tumeric (1 tsp powder),
ca. 2cm lesser galangal (kencur),
ca. 2cm greater galangal (laos),
¼ tsp shrimp paste (blachan),
1 tsp salt,
1 tsp pepper;
2-4 tbsp kecap manis;
2 tbsp oil

Cut the pork into strips. Grind the shallots, chillies, shallots, garlic and roots (how I wish I had a mini-food-processor!) and mix in pepper, salt, oil and kecap manis. Coat pork thoroughly with this mixture, place in a pot and cover with water. Simmer slowly for at least 1h until most of the water has boiled away and the pork is meltingly tender.

Surprisingly, no frying is involved, so skim the dish when it first comes to the boil. Since the wording on the above website and Bumbu Bali’s (Ubud) recipe booklet are almost identical, they may have cribbed from each other. The other recipes I’ve found online all use flour and powdered ginger and are far from authentic. They, too, are all copied from a common source. Either way, this works!

Tags: ,



Comments are closed.