BootsnAll Travel Network



An OLPC for Grownups

Have you noticed how brats are always the first to get access to decent computers? I bet that back in 1997 there were more laptops per primary school child than per postdoc, by about an order of magnitude. That’s not to say that I don’t think the OLPC project isn’t a great initiative (even if I would like to see it go out to older children first).

But it does mean that I’m (lime-)green with envy.

Harumph.

Having missed out on the buy one-give one campaign, I had a look at Ebay and I must say that the XO looks—well—childish.

However, it’s obviously an idea whose time has come, because my prayers from years ago seem to have been answered. An ultralight, mobile, capable laptop—for adults

Roll on the Asus EeePC (Easy to work, easy to learn, easy to play).

Watch this space.


Photo by luisramirezuchile

Tags: , , ,



One Response to “An OLPC for Grownups”

  1. admin Says:

    [Update:] don’t buy from Ebay international sellers. They are profiteering scammers without proper export arrangements, meaning you don’t just get hit with the VAT and import duty, but handling and clearing fees as well.

    I’m waiting to see how much that amounts to when Royal Mail finally contacts me (the package is still at customs, which points to improper or missing customs declaration forms, resulting in further fees and delays. Another two days and I can pay for storage as well!).

    Ironically, I found out on the day after I ordered it from Taiwan that ‘Toys ‘R’ us’ sells the EeePC for £219.