BootsnAll Travel Network



A Souvenier From China…

Our mate told us that he caught food poisoning just before he flew home. That can’t have been a fun experience…

However, he was in good spirits when we returned the cats on Sunday. The same can’t be said for us. We miss the little critters!

Today, John surprised me by getting up before me—to visit the bathroom. He’s caught a stomach upset (and is generally feeling rough) and pointed an accusing finger at me.

Wait a minute!

I don’t have food poisoning. Moreover, I’m probably the only homecook on the street with a food hygiene certificate. And since I also have lab experience, I’m more fastidious about hand washing than most chefs.

My ‘diagnosis’ (in the absence of an RT-PCR kit) is norovirus. It’s the most likely form of gastroenteritis to be transmitted by person-to-person contact, the most common form of all and it is often caught from eating undercooked shellfish, so our mate may have a point. Plus the incubation period fits (1-2 days, median 33-36 hours, almost hits it on the head)

Good news: it’s over quickly. And it doesn’t affect cats.

Bad news: acquired immunity isn’t long-lasting, so I’ll probably have something to look forward to shortly 🙁

Tags: , , ,



Comments are closed.