BootsnAll Travel Network



A Bird in Hand…

Tim Berners-Lee was today’s keynote speaker, talking about the future of the internet.

I wasn’t there—I was in the Greyhound on the way to Lake Louise (if web access at IW3C was any faster than that on a remote SE Asian island with only dial-up access, i could show you how very beautiful it is there). But we talked about the future of the internet yesterday night.

You see, I’m lobbying my husband on the Google privacy issue, which I ranted about on my LJ. While the people at IW3C engage in mutual back-slapping and hero-worship, talking about the history of the web which is all of about twenty years old, the dream is turning into a nightmare even as they speak.

I went to a talk and reception about the ‘history of the web’ yesterday, but I switched off as the speakers jabbered on and thought instead about birds.

On the way into the meeting (from a very panoramic smoking break), we spotted a bird hopping across the carpet. It had flown in through the partially opened double door. Fortunately, there were no other people around, this being a little-used side entrance.

However, as John approached it, the bird hopped into the adjoining hall, towards the crowded reception room. John entered through another door to round it up and I opened the entrance doors fully. Between us, we were able to shoo it outside, just as a Web Consortium committee member walked in.

“You two should be on the IW3C committee,” he said.

I was glowing with pride. Not many entirely non-nerdy Zoologists can boost both an Erdös number and an invitation to join the World Wide Web Consortium. But then John whispered in my ear.

“He’s only saying that because, if we can’t hurt a bird, we won’t hurt a committee member.

Tags: , , , , ,



2 Responses to “A Bird in Hand…”

  1. Rcon Pascua Says:

    Is that john a friend of yours? witty remark, I should say… I’m interested in what was discussed in that consortium.. I got curious about that Google privacy issue you mentioned, maybe I should check out LiveJournal account.. thanks. 🙂

  2. Posted from Philippines Philippines
  3. admin Says:

    John’s my hubby. No idea what they discussed as I was out walking in the woods 🙂

  4. Posted from Canada Canada