BootsnAll Travel Network



Puno

I must have pissed the Inca off somehow, because after my last entry I got REALLY sick. According to my Lonely Planet guide, I think I had Cholera. Not really, but I am taking antibiotics and missed a whole day of tourist stuff because I was in bed. My hotel was great – they took me to the pharmacy and let me stay until I went to the airport (about 5 hours after checkout time).

If crucifixes on the side of the road mean the same thing in Peru as they do in America, there are a lot of ghosts walking the highway between Juliaca and Puno. I got here night before last and watched silly crime dramas on the english speaking chanel because I still thought I was dying. I found out I wouldnt be able to spend the night on an island because my flight leaves too early for me to get back. I thought it was funny that the road was a toll road. One official toll when you enter the highway, and a second not so kosher toll once you get to Puno. They have to make their money somehow.

Yesterday I went to Uros (the floating islands) and Taquille (another island in Lake Titicaca). It was well worth the whole $12 for the full day trip. I found out an outsider can visit Taquille, but cant buy a house or open a business on the island. I guess thats how theyve preserved their culture (besided the kids begging for “un sole” for a picture). The Uros are really amazing. Im afraid theyre ruined because of the tourism industry, but Im really glad I got to go. Both nights here I ate in a place recommended by the hotel. Im not going to take any more chances with the comida.

I noticed when I went white water rafting that the people in the small villages were dressed in traditional clothing. Ive seen the pictures, but thought it was just for tourists benefit. Its actually real. People were leading their donkeys and herding their sheep, which was amazing.

Today I was supposed to go to some ruins between here and Juliaca but there is some kind of government protest going on so I couldnt. I am going to be able to get back to the airport, but we have to take the long way. Im not sure what were avoiding, but Im glad my hotel arranged the transfer for me. I went on a short city tour and finally did some shopping. I know some people live to haggle with vendors in the markets, but thats not really my thing. I have got some cool stuff, though. Right now Im avoiding the square, because I think there is some kind of protest going on.

Im sure youre all suprised to hear the internet access is a bit sketchy in the Andes :). This is taking forever! I leave for Lima in about 30 min. so Ill catch up later.



Tags:

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *