BootsnAll Travel Network



Thank you Capitol One

For the fourth time so far this trip my Capitol One Master Card that I carry as a backup saved the day when my fancy new BMO chip credit & debit cards “that work at any ATM in the world with the Cirrus logo” or so said my rep at the BMO in Bowmanville.

HORSEFEATHERS!!!

Another example of Canadian incompetence in a government regulated job.

My Capitol One only failed once in Korea but worked at a larger bank down the street when BMO failed once again.

My BMO debit card is useless about 50% of the time as Iceland & Greenland were a no go & approximately 50% of the countries I have visited the ATM’s only gave cash advances on credit cards not debit cards, guess as they can’t charge interest on debit card advances they just refuse to give them which is tantamount to theft as everywhere charges the 6% fee on your bill (some times hidden most times not) when paying by cc so if they won’t give cash on debit cards you are forced to pay the greedy banks 6% whether you like it or not!

So Canadians leave your government bank monopoly controlled cc’s at home & use a US one at least you know they will work & not be stuck with no cash by believing the lies told you by your bank!!



Tags:

3 responses to “Thank you Capitol One”

  1. Radster says:

    I never had issues with my RBC Visa wherever I travelled, and this included Cuba, Europe, Asia, Australia and South America. My RBC debit card is a hit and miss, but then again, I try to pay with my CC as often as possible, as I get points that way, and it costs the same, or even less than using my debit card to withdraw money with outside of Canada. Debit card usage outside of Canada is a flat rate of $5 every time (its for the PLUS service, which all debit cards have a logo of on the back). CCs just charge you the day’s give exchange rate which includes a small service fee within, but IMO it is so small that it is not worthwhile to nag about.

  2. Radster says:

    btw, I never cash advance from a CC.

  3. Dave says:

    Golly gee I guess you are smart enough to plan ahead so you are never out of cash & always stay tourist class, never traveler class where cc.s are not normally accepted & if you enjoy giving visa 6% on every transaction good for you.

    I was just giving a heads up that Canadian cc’s are not good for cash at all ATM’s while Cap One hasn’t failed me yet so I won’t leave home without it!