BootsnAll Travel Network



Stay with Mayan family

Name of composer of Guatemalan anthem, Rafael Avalverez Ovalle.

In afternoon of  first day stopped at Maya ruins at Iximche not a bad site but nothing to compare to Tikal bur a bit different than the others as it is in a mountainous region not the jungle.

The home stay was a real eye opener the way they lived, every thing just basic, cement floors with no paint & minimal furniture with brick wood burning stove. When I was shown my room it was explained that the Mayan tradition required the pine needles spread on the floor & the candle burning as a sign of respect to the guest also it made the room smell nice.

We talked for an hour or so, perhaps communicated is a better word, using my limited Spanish, a few words of English they knew & sign language. Then cena (supper) in the kitchen, frijolies negra y huevos y tortilas y pan banano. After supper an hour of impromptu Spanish & English lesson followed by bed on a bit hard bed but not that bad.

The casa consisted of 3 buildings with kitchen, bedroom & bathroom each in there own building. Different but the people were among the friendliest I have ever met.

On comparing notes with the others in the group all said the same about their hosts & considered it a privile4dge to have stayed in their homes & been involved in the family activities, with the exception of Mr know it all from Vancouver who was told there was a Canadian living a couple doors down & spent the evening drinking beer with a Canadian (no comment).

More to follow,



Tags:

2 responses to “Stay with Mayan family”

  1. Pinamimi says:

    lol….well some don’t know the When in Rome saying …lol…….better to have Mr. Know it All gone then to have
    him try to enlighten you all LOL
    Hope you took pix of the family and house etc….Sounds really cool Dave!!

  2. Dave says:

    No pics as they can be supertious & didn´t want to invade their privacy.