BootsnAll Travel Network



Route 66 Missouri

Once west of the Mississippi I always found the country/people more to my liking & it held true this trip. Had only briefly visited Missouri briefly in the Kansas City area before so this trip through the southern part of the state was really cool with the rolling hills & forests.

Spent time driving on/off Historic 66, off around the cities + where if paralleled I-44. However once off the Interstate the country more resembled that of the Eastern Townships of Quebec with it’s small towns & villages with their tree lined streets,  country hills & dales + the friendly inhabitants. Also the fall colors were at their prime, though lacking the brilliant scarlet’s of the Quebec maples, the Sumacs kind of made up for them, with the awesome golden yellow & brown shades of others contributing to the magnificent forest colors.

And then came Cuba, a town on old 66 where Connie has restored the historic Wagon Wheel Motel to surpass it’s former glory, right next door is the Missouri-Hick-BBQ featuring great meals at extremely affordable prices, not to be missed. The town is littered with a cacophony marvelous murals, featuring scenes of the towns past & should be visited if in the area.

Took a wrong turn at one point & ended up 20 or so miles out of the way however that proved just an opportunity to see more of the amazing state while showing what a moron Tommy was by insisting I was going the wrong way so just ignored him the rest of the day.

At another point the signs pointed down a narrow country road for a couple miles then an arrow (some touron had stolen the sign) showing a right turn down an even smaller road, where after crossing a one lane bridge, one was rewarded with the sight of a derelict Phillips 66 station, complete with the original orange sign.

It’s these small things that make a trip down the mother road such a unique experience & I urge anyone who has the opportunity to do even a hundred miles of it anywhere to take the time to return, for a couple hours to a kinder gentler time.

Oh did I mention that Diesel was running around the $2.98/gal mark??

Leaving Missouri for Kansas one is in for a whole new ball game



Tags:

Comments are closed.