BootsnAll Travel Network



Not so nice China

The first thing I noticed about China (I do NOT recognize China’s claim to Tibet) was upon awakening in the morning on the train from Lhasa to drab, dreary, mud colored shacks of the Chinese rural population. This was in direct contrast to the colorful houses I had been accustomed to seeing during the past week in Tibet, or the Siberian houses that might not be painted but at least had brightly colored shutters showing pride in the house. Actually they were the most sad sorrowful residences I have ever seen in my travels including the dirt-floored thatch-roofed houses of rural India.

The following day my arrival in Beijing which I have documented was the high point although the tour to the great wall was fine with a small group of 2 arranged by the concierge desk not the tourist desk at the Novotel. We were warned to buy only at government stores to avoid scams involving over priced fake products. Seems that scamming tourists is the biggest industry in Beijing.

For the past 2 years Jerry at Great Lakes College in Toronto has been telling me that when I get to Beijing just call the school there & some one would be happy to show me around.

HORSEFEATHERS

I called Jerry from Lhasa letting him know when I would be arriving in Beijing but disappointingly though not unexpectedly, never heard boo from anyone. However this is not just a Chinese thing it’s endemic all over. Give good service at good rates & all the thanks you get, even in Canada is “so long sucker!!!”

Did email one of the teachers but her reply came 3 days later on the morning I was to fly to the Philippines, too late.

So I won’t recommend China for anyone’s bucket list unless they have a bit of a sadistic streak & enjoy arguing with scammers or a death wish then they can go to Tibet & start a political argument!

That said on the tour to the great wall my companion mentioned that he had a skin condition that ordinary medicine was at a loss to cure or even relieve & wondered if Chinese traditional medicine might offer relief. Now the tour guide said that it was early enough in the day that should be able to get an appointment at the clinic that day. Dream on Canadians. She got on the phone & made 2, one for each of us, consultation is free.

After our tour we stopped at the clinic where first our temperature was taken (Almighty WHO & their pandemic) then he had a consultation where the doctor said he would send for the specialist, who arrived in less than 10 minutes (yes Canadians 10 MINUTES NOT months!!!!). 5 minutes later diagnosis done & prescription written.

As I have no doctor in Crapanada & little chance of finding one at my age & was there anyway & cost was zilch figured what’s to loose. The diagnosis covered the minor symptoms I have (Crapadian licensed quack couldn’t even diagnose stroke symptoms HMMMM!!!) so I spent the approx $100 on a 3 month supply on natural meds that’s supposed to be all I need. Scam???? Not knowing. Will let you know in 3 months. Any way less than 1/2 hr for 2 diagnosis’, prescriptions filled & out the door. Definitely NOT Canada!!!!! Maybe Cuba or India!!!

At least I kept my promise to the policeman at the border who stole my Lonely Planet, I got to Beijing saw the wall & got the first plane out of Dodge with no plans to return EVER!!!

Trivia & food for thought, hmmm might be time to start those courses in Mandarin if you plan on remaining in Canada. The combined population of Beijing + Shanghi is greater than all of Canada!

Not impressed with the seamier side of Manila but was warned about that & have cheap flight booked to Borocay in the morning. Hello beach & DHL winter clothes home, never again caca blanca LOL!!!!



Tags:

10 responses to “Not so nice China”

  1. Oncearound says:

    Careful, could be melamine or some other crap in the $100 placebo you purchased… I wouldn’t trust any of the meds – natural or not? – from China.

  2. Dave says:

    Typical comment of an uninformed person getting their view of the world from CNN & CTV.

    Actually the place NOT to trust doctors is Canada!!

    Cuba, India & China I trust but I guess actually having visited these countries makes my judgement of less value than one who gets their info from propaganda laden US TV.

    Your fairyland sounds like a nice place however it bears NO resemblance to reality!

  3. Oncearound says:

    lol… let’s hope I’m absolutely wrong – for your sake.
    Happy trails
    🙂

  4. Dave says:

    You see there’s the difference between us my rose colored glasses where Canada is concerned years ago when my Canadian licenced family doctor proved himself to be a completely incompetent moron. Also the events of the past few years coupled with the absurd leadership of the country has caused me to loose all faith in the future of Canada.

    During my trip seeing & experiencing new things has led to a nothing ventured nothing gained attitude to life. As to natural medicine, hey can’t see pumping chemicals into my body as being healthy when there is a natural alternitive.

    Also to dismiss a treatment out of hand just because it originated in a foriegn land is assinine!!

    After all when it came time to quit smoking the only treatment that worked for me was laser therapy based on CHINESE acupunture so in my experience Chinese natural medicine does work!

    I feel sorry for anyone with a closed mind unable to try new things!

  5. Oncearound says:

    Glad you were able to quit smoking. I had a tough time with that too, though I didn’t use acupuncture to beat it – sheer will power distanced me from cigarettes. Can’t get any more natural than that…
    Happy trails
    🙂

  6. Radster says:

    Well, I believe you busman. I went to a natural foods store a couple weeks ago with my fiancée, and bought a bunch of natural medicines to help boost our immune systems against the seasonal and swine flus. No way are we giving in to the WHO vaccine propaganda which is polluting the daily news. That store had a big section with chinese natural medicines too. Plus I recently watched an interesting documentary on chinese natural medicines. Not all things from China are sketchy. Chinese natural medicine has been around since before Christ, and it has done wonders. I would pick it over the chemical stuff our Western doctors feed us, anyday.

  7. Oncearound says:

    Well Radster, at least you can go back to the store if there’s a problem. Not so much busman, he’s just passing through and an easy mark as he’ll never be back… heard too many stories from China, but like I said, hopefully I’m wrong.

  8. Dave says:

    Gee quit smoking on willpower how macho!!

    “heard too many stories from China” Yep rumor mongering is what you do best. Heaven forbid you should actually experience some thing different.

    Only leaving your comments up to show what a bigot you really are!!

  9. Oncearound says:

    So sorry to offend you buddy. Wife works in automotive and deals with India, China, Mexico and a few other European countries… fair to say globetrotting is not a problem – so tough I personally have never been, I trust my source for the stories I’ve heard. Not sure where the bigot comment came from, but if it makes you feel better, go ahead and delete my posts. I was just giving you “heads up” is all – it’s your body and money, and you can do whatever you want with it.
    Happy trails
    🙂

  10. Dave says:

    So now the Once is in condescending mode!

    I survived in business for 30+ years & am a pretty good judge of charracter & base my decisions on personal observation NOT second hand hearsay.

    You are right it’s my money & my body & I have no need of a heads up from an uninformed salary worker who is trying to make a fool of me on my blog so all future comments from the Howdy Doody peanut galary will be deleted!